'Not Supported Method' using Google Chrome
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone experienced the message above when trying to log into your Verizon account? I can get to other websites with little trouble, but that one is a royal pain. It's only been happening in the last week or two, and is steadily getting worse. Often I have to hit the refresh button several times before I get in. It makes it a pain in the neck to quickly check my email.

I'm on a DSL line, using the most recent version of Chrome and Norton Anti-Virus. At least so far, my antiquated version of IE doesn't seem to have these issues, so I'm thinking it's a setting somewhere that needs to be changed. But What?

I tried calling Tech support, but they were utterly worthless. First they tried putting a program on for sharing, but all it did was loop over and over again, and did absolutely nothing. They didn't know anything about Chrome, and admitted all they were trained on was IE. Oh really?

I am also getting empty page and no data received errors from time to time, which tends to make me think that something is hosed with my modem, but again, what?

My first inclination is to reinstall Chrome, but before I do that, I thought I might try here and see if someone has experienced these errors and had some success in fixing them.

Regards...Mike 

0 Likes
Re: 'Not Supported Method' using Google Chrome
buplee1

I am having the same problem. Logged in once then when I went to login again Not Supported Method. If I figure this out I'll let you know.

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

There has been some discussion about this in the Google Chrome forums, as I discovered this afternoon. One solution - and I don't know if it's the right one, so take it with a grain of salt - is to completely purge your history, and go through your cookies and delete any Verizon cookies.

People are rightly annoyed at Verizon for evidently making a change and not informing anyone of the potential consequences.

I won't have a chance to try this fix until tomorrow - unfortunately this bloody forum won't let me post the URL of the thread (what a dork of a system!), but you should check out the Google Chrome forums - it's there...

best regards...Mike 

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just looking very quickly at the thread, I see that it's been noted that the above solution only works once - that is to say you have to clear cookies and history each and every time you go to the Verizon email screen. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet, but if that's the case, then using the Click and Clean extension might - just might - be the way to go here.

It appears Firefox users are also experiencing this same error. Tomorrow night I'm going to try this and see if it works; Verizon users ought to be pummeling the so called World Class (what an absolute lie) tech support with complaints about this until this gets resolved.

best regards..Mike

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I just tried this method to get around the problem and it doesn't work - at least not for me. My system is XP SP3, using the latest Chrome release.

What a pain...

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I have Chrome running on both a Windows XP and a Windows 7 machine, and am not getting this error. What page are you logging into?

Also, holding CTRL and clicking refresh (F5) should clear the cache for that specific page. Worth a try.

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried that, totally worthless...here's the page I'm trying to access

http://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/MyAccount/Protected/Overview/MyOverView.aspx

Interestingly my little netbook with Win7 starter hasn't had this problem (yet), but I'm at a loss to solve this issue. Like I mentioned before, the Chrome forum has a number of folks with a similar problem. I even saw where someone did a reinstall for Chrome, but it too was worthless as a solution. It seems that Verizon is selectively blocking folks that are using browsers other than IE - that's the one browser that doesn't seem to have this issue. Why? Verizon is dead silent on the issue

best regards..Mike

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well I have tried and used a couple of different utilities, and each seems to solve this issue - but only for 1 or 2 sessions max. I first used the Click and Clean extension's ability to scan for malware, and it came up clean. Next I went into WinSecret, and had it clean out cookies, history as well as any traces of any third party programs, Windows as well as temporary files and the browser. After I did all of this, I got in for one session. Then Norton reported it had fixed some tracking cookies - and once again I got in, but only for one or two sessions max. 

I just tried signing on a minute ago, and it was back to this crazy message. In the past, no matter how many times I hit F5 to refresh, it made absolutely no difference. This time, after about 8 or 9 tries, it finally let me in.

C'mon Verizon fess up - you did something but what the heck is it? And why are you banging on folks that use better browsers than the older versions of IE? Where is this much-vaunted (and absent) customer service??

0 Likes
maccur1

I suspect Norton and how it interacts with Chrome is involved.  I can work the Verizon site fine with IE and Norton on my desktop.  I get the same stupid message, though, when using Chrome.  I have a laptop with Chrome and Windows security essentials and I can navigate the Verizon site without issue.

0 Likes
Mike_Agner
Enthusiast - Level 3

A good thought but that's not it. I have a netbook with Win7 and Avast anti virus and I'm getting this idiot message there, too.

I found one possible work around which is tacky but so far, seems to work. If you get this message, go to any other website that also puts cookies on your system - then go back and try getting on Verizon again. It may not last, though...every solution that has been attempted works once or twice, then the door gets shut (Verizon, are you reading this thread? If so how about telling us what is going on???)

Thanks for the attempt anyway...Mike

0 Likes