Re: Slow High Speed Internet 1mbps instead of 4 to 7
RUBZERK1

im having the same problem. any tips for me ?

i have the 3. to 7. hsi. i never see anything above .6 no matter what site i check my speed on.

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon yesterday. They insist that in my neighborhood they cannot provide a higher speed because the lines are too crowded and that there is nothing they can do about it. THey offered to give me some credit for having paid all this time for a service I never got and which they had promised to provide. The bottom line is that I will need to change companies if I want to get a higher Internet speed. The question is if another company will be able to provide that higher speed. AT&T cannot because they do not go to neighborhoods where Verizon is. So, there you go. I am at a loss again. Unbelievable that in the capital of the United States, 15 minutes from the Capitol, I cannot watch Youtube videos because I don't have fast enough Internet. 

0 Likes
jeazor

I feel for you, I live in a new subdivision and comcast has cable tied up at the end of the street, so Verizon is my only option. I have great Stats and cant get them to upgrade my plan...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RUBZERK wrote:

im having the same problem. any tips for me ?

i have the 3. to 7. hsi. i never see anything above .6 no matter what site i check my speed on.

If you can provide your modem's Transceiver Statistics along with a Speed Test we can see what the deal is with your line.

@piba: It sounds like you might have been fed the typical spoonful of "We can't do this because we can." If that really was the case, you would be seeing slow-downs during the night even when you had a higher speed. In all honesty, it's Verizon's fault for allowing the network to get like that in the first place. They provisioned too many lines without ensuring the connectivity to the CO and beyond has been balanced and upgraded to support the addiitional load. If you can't get anywhere with the phone support, either with Billing or Tech Support (try asking to be sent to provisioning), I'm hoping a Verizon Rep here will step in to help get you in business. Otherwise your best bet is to try the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports. They won't be able to adjust billing, but they should be able to push tickets into Provisioning if you are still on the higher "Enhanced" package.

@jeazor: Transceiver Statistics from you too, please 🙂

0 Likes
jeazor

Here are my Stats

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Fast

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3356 855
Margin (dB) 29.0 14.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 33.0 15.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.4 11.0

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're right. With stats like those you could probably score a 10Mbps connection. You're already on ADSL2+ so one part of the puzzle is already out of the equation. The next question is, are you coming directly out of the Central Office or are you coming from a Remote? Verizon typically won't sell more than 3Mbps if you're on a remote regardless of the technology used for signaling and the backhaul on the remote. If you're coming out of the CO, tell us which area you're in. Most areas should be capable of at least the 7.1Mbps plan since it's been out long enough AND even older, unupgraded ADSL gear should be able to provide such speeds provided they were designed to withstand loads greater than 3Mbps per line (the modems do for sure, even those from 2000-2001 that ran on ATM instead of an old Frame Relay network that developed issues past 1.5Mbps).

I cannot get higher than 3Mbps out where I am, even though the lines are in great shape because I am on gear installed during the early 2000s which cannot handle speeds past 3Mbps due to backplane issues and such. Even if they do, the issue would crop up when you get a few lines running higher than 3Mbps to bring the remote equipment to it's knees. It's fed by fiber, so that isn't the limitation by any means. The fact I can't get more than 3Mbps out of my line which can clearly do 5-7Mbps is the reason I "suffer" with 1Mbps/384kbps. No incentive to upgrade. FiOS equipment sits outside of my neighborhood, with nothing connecting to it which was placed a few months ago so I'm hoping they wire that up so I can actually get the FiOS service. I'll give up copper if Verizon will let me.

0 Likes
jeazor

If I had to guess prob a remote but I have no idea. I live in Falls Creek Pa 15840, might the CO be in Dubois Pa 15801???? I have yet to hear back from anyone whether or not I can be upgraded. Thanks again for all yr help Smith6612

0 Likes
piba
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Smith6612: I am practically at the point of giving up with Verizon. The issue is: what other company WILL be able to provide me with the high speed I want? I don't want to get into a situation where I hire a new service and then down the road I realize they cannot provide me with the highest possible speed, which is what is happening now with Verizon. I talked to Verizon for the past five days!!!! To tech support, to billing, you name it... they said they simply cannot do it. The line is too crowded, as I understand. "They" even suggested I go to another company! In any case, I did a final desperate run on Transreceiver Stats and Speed, like you asked the last time. HEre they go:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision:

Vendor ID Code:

Line Mode:

ADSL2+ Mode

Data Path:

Interleaved

Transceiver Information

Downstream Path

Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

Speed at 10am: 0.73Mbps (download) - 0.13Mbps (Upload).

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

0 Likes