Outage on Jan 2nd, and still slow DSL speeds today!
papersouls

Ever since January 2nd, I have had ridiculously slow speeds. Everything was working pretty decent before the 2nd. Then the outage happened. (Nothing in my home was changed. Wires, locations, NOTHING. It was working fine, went out and came on slower). It came back on the 3rd and has not been the same since. I can't watch/load a video on netflix or you tube. I've been on the phone and in live chat at least 6 times now, and still no resolution. I went through the game of turning the modem on/off, have the rep take control of my screen enough times now. They finally admitted it was on their end, and were going to send out someone to check it, and if they needed to come in my home they'd call - within 24-48 hrs. 48 hours later, still no change, and no phone call other than a follow up (about 12 hrs after the previous phone call) saying if I still had the problem to call (did they not send a person out to check then?).

So another live chat later, they said they fixed it and were giving me higher speeds than what I was paying for. What a joke! As I ran their speed test to dl speeds of 0.09mbps and ul .8, still not being able to watch videos of any sort. Yet when I asked the agent if a physical person had been sent out, no answer was given. Then again they tried to question my computer, even though I have explained too many times already how there are 2 laptops AND 2 cell phones that are all running slow on the wifi (Yet 3G runs just fine on the phones). How is this my computer, or my end? (Again, nothing in my home was changed. The DSL went out and came back slower.

I have a contract, but 3 weeks of slow service? If that doesn't void a contract, I don't know what would. Needless to say, I'm not happy with Verizon at all right now. Please fix the problem!! Or at  least send a human to my door to check whatever he needs to check. There's a Verizon building a few blocks from my home no less! If not, you will lose the business of not only my DSL, but my phone line as well.

0 Likes
Re: Outage on Jan 2nd, and still slow DSL speeds today!
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please show the Transceiver Statistics from the DSL modem.

#2 If you do not know where / how to find them, then answer these questions.

a) What is the brand and model of your DSL modem?

b)  What is the brand and model of your router?

c) What is your OS and Version? For example, Windows XP SP3.

0 Likes
papersouls

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 768 Margin (dB) 26.1 10.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 19.0 10.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 8.3 11.9

One thing. There is a 'Resume high speed internet activation' link on my desktop which has never worked when I click on it. Page not found always comes up. This was part of the registration process (or so i was told) for the new modem you had sent me (the only change in my home setup, which i spent an hour and a half setting up, over a half an hour which was just for the download for this registration program. After we had gone through most of the process, a restart was needed. It never seemed to finish what it was supposed  to do as the 'page not found' kept coming up, but the tech agent told me it was fine. Could this have anything to do with the problems that they are telling me are 'fixed'? And if not, what are the chances of me getting a tech support person in my home to check the line (which I was told was going to happen a week ago), considering its going on three weeks now (6 phone calls/chats later) with no changes.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you try connecting your modem to the NID?

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

@papersouls wrote:

One thing. There is a 'Resume high speed internet activation' link on my desktop which has never worked when I click on it. Page not found always comes up.

Did you try

http://activatemydsl.verizon.net/

?

0 Likes
ccalderon68

I have been experiencing the same problem for nearly 3 weeks. I live in Lake Ariel, PA, 18436. The upload speed has stayed the same but the download speed has been terrible. I am supposed to be getting 1.5 Mbps but have been getting 0.132 Mbps download (checked right now at verizon.net/speedtest ). My upload was good at 0.382 Mbps.

I called customer support a couple of weeks ago and they had me reset my modem, take speed tests and let them take control of my PC. None of this solved my issue. They said they would fix the problem in 24-48 hours. They also said they were going to send someone to come check my connection. No one ever came and the problem was not fixed in 24-48 hours. I called again and they said they would try something new. I don't know what they did but it did nothing. They said they would fix the issue in 24-48 hours. That never happened.

Something I noticed was that when I was at the modem's home page speed down said 1700 Kbps before the outage or something like that but now I see it at 1200 Kbps.

I really would like to know when I can expect my internet to return to normal because right now it is barely usable. I would also like to know how you are going to compensate those who have been experiencing this.

I also emailed verizon support about this just a little while ago.

0 Likes
papersouls

#1 - No. I shouldnt have to go outside my home to test the connection. I'd think thats when a tech agent should be sent out to the home.

#2 Yes. I spent yet another day with tech support Friday night, who came to the conclusion that the software is corrupt and a disk would needed to be sent to me. This was in chat. I was then  told I needed to call and tell them I was just in chat and they said to open a ticket, have a person sent to my home, and a disc with the software on it sent to me. Now if only it was that simple. No. I call and have to waste another hour of my time having the agent test the lines some more. First question is, why cant the chat agents make tickets? Why even have chat then, its pretty much a waste of time if they cant even open a ticket. This could have avoided  having to go through the steps yet another time.  Its been over 24 hours now, and I have yet to recieve the follow up call. I was told within 12-24 hours. Then again,  I told them not to call my home phone, but my cell. Not that the first 6 agents noted that, but maybe this one finally did. Either way,  why has someone not called to set up a time to come to my home by now?!

ccaleron668 - Its absolutly insane how thew customer service really is. Why are the same steps gone over and over and over again? Why does it seem there are no notes taken each time we talk to a rep, so the next one knows what was already done and didnt work. 3 weeks for a top company like verizon is unacceptable.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can get rid of the Resume link. Your DSL is physically working so there is no need to mess with it. You can truthfully remove the Verizon Software from your computer as once the account is made, there is no more need for it. For people who know what they are doing, you don't even need any Verizon software, just a web browser and a few minutes.

Your Upstream isn't synced up correctly, and your margin on the upstream should be higher considering how short the line is. While it might be related to the outage, I doubt that it is and instead, there is a small issue on the line causing noise for the upstream.

Anyways, there have been some issues reported in and around Erie, PA which are apparently just starting to get solved so they may or may not be related. If the slow speeds happen 24/7 however, it could be either an issue with provisioning on Verizon's end or something isn't repaired yet. Instead of dealing with the phone reps, I would suggest visiting the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports. They should be able to see what is going on.
0 Likes
papersouls

Thanks Smith! I didn't  think the software was that important, however the rep had stated during the new modem installation, t hat if the registration wasn't done correctly it could lead to slower speeds.  At the point of the first post, it was the only thing they had not looked into so it was worth a shot.

I'm not even close to the Erie are. More near Hazleton.  And the slow speeds are 24/7.  I'm going to take a look at the forums.  Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Alrighty. Let us know if you need any more help. I can assure you that the software is definitely not needed, as in my area despite us using PPPoE for connectivity, our areas runs in what is known as an "OpenPPPoE" area where we can basically use any username and password on the service to connect a DSL line. This is nice to have as despite not creating a Verizon account, you can still connect the service up (similar to Cable modem service). The modems come pre-loaded with a default PPP login called "newdsl" with some password I haven't bothered to find out. Once the modem syncs for the first time, the Internet light will turn on. It then becomes a simple matter of disabling the modem's Walled Garden, which removes the redirect to activatemydsl.verizon.com and you're online in roughly one minute from turning on the modem.

In the past, Verizon's modems didn't come pre-loaded with a PPP login (though this might still be the case in certain areas where an account name is needed, excluding areas that use DHCP and not PPPoE), meaning you had to create an account using the CD as the CD contained the default login information to connect the modem for the first time to authenticate. Now a days due to OpenPPPoE and Verizon's own BusyBox Linux under the hood firmware, you can hook up any Verizon modem or any other modem and it will detect PPPoE and connect using "Default" or blank credentials.
0 Likes
papersouls

Well, after another phone call, they finally admitted  there was a problem with the line on their side. The bigger problem as far as i am concerned,  is the fact they do not know when it will be fixed. They estimated 24-48 hours, but again, there was no real time. So, as of now,  i'll give them until Friday. If its not back up, then I guess Verizon will be short one more customer. Not only for the DSL but the phone line as well. I liked Verizon too, which is a shame. Hopefully theyll come through for me, or else, cable - here i come.

0 Likes