Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
foilman
Device: Dell desktop
Plan: DSL
0 Kudos

Outgoing Port 25 or Port 587

I have read the VZW e-mails and the VZW forum posts, but I am still uncertain about which outgoing port to use for each of my accounts.  Let me present three situations and ask the correct outgoing port setting for each situation. 

I have VZW DSL, and e-mail accounts with VZW and two other ISPs and domains which I generally access via DSL using either Thunderbird or Eudora.

Here is my understanding of the correct settings for each of the three accounts.  Would somebody confirm or correct?

Thanks, in advance, to all who can help.

Account 1:  A verizon.net account:  I send from the Verizon.net server.  Hence, the outgoing port should remain as 25.

Account 2:  Call the e-mail account x@ABC.com.  I use the ABC.com server to send e-mail.  Hence, I continue to use whatever outgoing port ABC.com tells me to use.  (My logic:  I do NOT change the outgoing port to 587 since I am not sending via the verizon.net server.)

Account 3:  Call it Q@xyz.com.  For this account, I use the Verizon.net outgoing server.  Hence, I change the outgoing port to 587.   (My logic: Since this is a non-verizon account for which I use the verizon server, I need to change the outgoing port to 587.)

Gold Contributor V
somegirl
0 Kudos

Re: Outgoing Port 25 or Port 587

foilman wrote:

Account 1:  A verizon.net account:  I send from the Verizon.net server.  Hence, the outgoing port should remain as 25.

Account 2:  Call the e-mail account x@ABC.com.  I use the ABC.com server to send e-mail.  Hence, I continue to use whatever outgoing port ABC.com tells me to use.  (My logic:  I do NOT change the outgoing port to 587 since I am not sending via the verizon.net server.)

Account 3:  Call it Q@xyz.com.  For this account, I use the Verizon.net outgoing server.  Hence, I change the outgoing port to 587.   (My logic: Since this is a non-verizon account for which I use the verizon server, I need to change the outgoing port to 587.)

Account 1: Correct. Server outgoing.verizon.net should always work with port 25. You can also use port 587 if you *want* to, but it is not required.

Account 2: Should be using any port ABC.com allows OTHER than port 25. Third party servers are the ones that are blocked.

Account 3: Again, outgoing.verizon.net should always be able to use port 25. (Though 587 is also acceptable.)

Hope this helps!

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411