Port Forwarding not working on Verizon GT704WGB
markmorgan

I am trying to setup port forwarding for my SSH server and cannot get it to work.  

I have looked at all the other questions and answers and still cannot get it to work.  My DHCP settings are:

192.168.1.64-192.168.1.254

On the computer I want to set the rule up for I created a static IP of 192.168.1.60.  Using the same DNS servers and Gateway IP 192.168.1.1.

I created a custom rule under Advanced Setting -> Applications ->.  I selected custom and put in a name then I put in the following info:

port start:  5689   port stop: 5689  port map: 5689  TCP,UDP

Hit apply and back and then add the new rule to the computer that is running my SSH server and has the new static ip address mentioned above.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding not working on Verizon GT704WGB
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Setting up port forwarding on Actiontec GT704WG & GT704WGB gateways

Did you follow those instructions, and do you have a second router, or is this connected actiontec straight to the device?

@markmorgan wrote:

I am trying to setup port forwarding for my SSH server and cannot get it to work.  

I have looked at all the other questions and answers and still cannot get it to work.  My DHCP settings are:

192.168.1.64-192.168.1.254

On the computer I want to set the rule up for I created a static IP of 192.168.1.60.  Using the same DNS servers and Gateway IP 192.168.1.1.

I created a custom rule under Advanced Setting -> Applications ->.  I selected custom and put in a name then I put in the following info:

port start:  5689   port stop: 5689  port map: 5689  TCP,UDP

Hit apply and back and then add the new rule to the computer that is running my SSH server and has the new static ip address mentioned above.

Any help would be appreciated.

and did you add your ssh server to your windows firewall and third party firewall? (norton/mcafee etc...)

0 Likes
markmorgan

Yes I have followed that advice and there is no second router but I do have a directv modem connected to it, so I am wondering if I need to setup mulitple PVC but I cannot find anything that tells me what values to input on that page.

0 Likes
markmorgan

Yes my SSH server has been added to the firewalls on my window machines.  The SSH server is being run on Ubuntu 12.04 and the iptables and firewall has been updated.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The standard TCP port 22 has been assigned for contactingSSH servers - did you change it for additional security, and did you change that port everywhere?  meaning in the software, your firewalls as well as the router?

can you try it on the default port and see if it works?

also are you getting any messages ?

0 Likes
markmorgan

yes i have tried port 22 as well and yes it was in all firewalls and iptables as well.  The problem is not with my ssh or firewall rules.  The problem is at the router side and simply is not working.  How do I go about getting a replacment router?

0 Likes
markmorgan

The only message I am getting is port forwarding failed when I run a tool to test the port forwarding out.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

from my experience, if you got those rules set up right, then the problem is elsewhere.   If you want to try a new router, then reach out to verizon support @ the Contact Us Link at the bottom of the page.  

Also try to take a look at this, and see if you fall in any of these catagories, and you may want to do a repair to windows firewall, there is an auto fix tool at that site as well. 

SSH should give you an error message when you try to connect it,  don't rely on website checkers for your port forward test.   they tell you yes and no, but they don't tell you why.  SSH gives you some decent details that may help you find your problem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Oh I thought of a couple more things.  Maybe try slapping the ip in the DMZ, and see if it's still not working.  If it doesn't work even in the dmz, then that should tell you if it's the router or if the problem is elsewhere.  

You may also want to just rip out the port forwarding rules, and then let the auto config software do it for you.  It might catch something that you and I have missed.  

0 Likes