Port Forwarding with Verizon-Branded Action GT704-WG
alharaka
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am new to the forums, and I am already overjoyed with the 30 minutes I spent figuring out that the login mechanism does not even work with browsers other than IE7/8.  Lots of fun to start.

I live in a residential building with the residential High Speed Internet Plan.  I assume this is the case because it is a DSL line and they are not using business grade, or I do not think I would be having these problems.

I have spent many hours trying to figure out how to port forward with the above-mentioned router/modem/gateway/**bleep** extraordinnaire.  I am in IT professionally, and I am tired of feeling **bleep**.  I called Verizon tech, but they were very unhelpful unless I pay for a premium tech service to figure out port forwarding problems.  And yes, I have read the info on port-forward.com numerous times for this device.

Essentially, I want to forward an arbitrary port, let's say 6336, to a server running Ubuntu 9.10.  I have put this computer in the DMZ using the web interface.  I have also set up a mapping rule to forward 6336 (all three entries pointed to 6336 in the Security/Applications/Forwarding section, following docs on port-forward.com for this specific model AND Verizon's own documentation).  Occassionally, I can see the service is viewable from the likes of canyouseeme.org.  Nonetheless, I cannot access the port: I get a connection refused error when using ssh on this port.  Yes, I correctly configured ssh on the DMZ server/host to respond to the non-standard 6336 port, and I have tried it with the server's firewall system (ufw/iptables, for the curious) enabled and disabled.  It NEVER works.

Some posts here have indicated I might need a static IP assignment.  That can be done only client-side (meaning the Ubuntu server in the DMZ), if I understand people saying it is not possible to do static assignments from this **bleep** gateway, so I am not sure if that should matter (I wonder what happens with this **bleep** when two computers try to demand the same static IP; dare I guess that he asks first wins?).  I cannot recall if I have uPnP enabled or disabled as I am at the office right now, but I believe it is off.  Not sure if this matters either.  If I am wrong, I would love if someone could let me know.  I am at a loss and sick of dealing with such a simple problem.  I would really appreciate the help. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port Forwarding with Verizon-Branded Action GT704-WG
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 On your computer setup a Static IP.

This means following the directions at http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubuntu-linux-convert-dhcp-network-configuration-to-static-ip-con...

#2 The Static IP must be outside of that DHCP range of the router. So, this means your IP has be above 1 but below 64.

#3 In the router forward to the IP Address that you setup on the computer.

--

OR if the router can give the computer the same IP Address each time, you could do that.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the Verizon-Branded Action GT704-WG, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 What is the DHCP Range of the router?

#3 Do you have only one computer or least two computers behind this router?

#4 In the router go to Advanced -> UPnP.

#5 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, turn off UPnP in the router.

0 Likes
alharaka
Enthusiast - Level 1

#1 In the Verizon-Branded Action GT704-WG, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

This does not exist on my router.  The router currently uses firmware version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.14, so I am not sure if this menu entry is version dependent.  I can see the following menu entries under Advanced Setup (I assume they are the same thing, unless stated otherwise).

• DSL Settings
  • DHCP Settings
  • LAN IP Address
  • WAN IP Address
  • QoS: Upstream
  • QoS: Downstream
  • QoS: Status
  • Remote Mgmt/Telnet
  • Telnet Timeout Setting
  • Dynamic Routing
  • Static Routing
  • UPnP
  • USB Port Detection
  • Time Zone
  • Remote Syslog Capture

None of these seem particularly relevant to what you asked.   Everything else seems standard.  Let me know if you need more details.  I can provide screenshots of the web mgmt. interface if you like.

Standard 192.168.1.* with a Class C subnet like most wireless routers; this is definitely standard from Verizon.  The server in question, due to living arrangements, is connected to wireless since it cannot be connected to the gateway/router with ethernet cable.  I wanted to make sure that it is not relevant.  I assume that the DHCP system does not separate out different subnets, especially with this range and subnet class you can only get one.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

I share this with other occupants, and I see devies computers on the network currently.  Two are mine, and one is a server.  Only one is connected via ethernet, which belongs to the other occupants.  None of them have application rules/port forwarding, or any of the blocking/scheduling services for parents (I assume).  Just checked.

Check. 

#5 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, turn off UPnP in the router.

I do not have two game consoles, or any at all.  The hostnames tell me neither does anyone on the network (both of the devices connected to the network I cannot manage have hostnames that mention PC/laptop model numbers).  I have disabled it for now.  I have tried it during my testing with both UPnP on and off.  Thanks for letting me know this is not required.

Thanks for your help so far.  Please let me know if I am missing any details.  I do not want to be one of those guys.  Wish I could have responded sooner, but I often have trouble logging into the forums.

0 Likes
yellingdog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Port forwarding is in Security-->Applications. But I think you figured that out. I was having all sorts of problems with using Kubuntu for CUPS and a NAS. Final solution was to use an old router setup with DD-WRT behind the Actionec, which I updated/de-Verizonized with the Firmware on Actionec's website, and set to be just a Modem (Advanced Setup-->WAN IP settings are Obtain IP through DHCP and RC1483 Bridged). Then I could setup the DD-WRT router to do all of the static routing I needed.

0 Likes
alharaka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, yellingdog.  I know that DD-WRT would be a nice solution, but I am trying to spend as little money as possible on excess hardware.  I need web hosting soon anyway, so I was thinking of doing reverse SSH from an external host.  In the meantime, I have been considering Jabsh, XMPP-SSH, which seem like really neat ideas (image a secure shell over an IM chat session).

So, does anyone know how to do this *with Verizon-provided hardware*.  I mean, the jack***es have documentation on their website, which I followed.  Both of you have been a nice help so far, but I am not giving Verizon any f***ing slack.  I want their cheapo systems to work as documented, and not charge me a fee for additional call-in tech support because THEIR documentation is insufficient.  This is sad, **bleep**, and moronic.  Cruizing around the forums, I am not surprised they have such a bad rep. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alharaka wrote:

This does not exist on my router.  The router currently uses firmware version 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.14, so I am not sure if this menu entry is version dependent.  I can see the following menu entries under Advanced Setup (I assume they are the same thing, unless stated otherwise).

• DSL Settings
  • DHCP Settings
  • LAN IP Address
  • WAN IP Address
  • QoS: Upstream
  • QoS: Downstream
  • QoS: Status
  • Remote Mgmt/Telnet
  • Telnet Timeout Setting
  • Dynamic Routing
  • Static Routing
  • UPnP
  • USB Port Detection
  • Time Zone
  • Remote Syslog Capture

None of these seem particularly relevant to what you asked.   Everything else seems standard.  Let me know if you need more details.  I can provide screenshots of the web mgmt. interface if you like.

Standard 192.168.1.* with a Class C subnet like most wireless routers; this is definitely standard from Verizon.  The server in question, due to living arrangements, is connected to wireless since it cannot be connected to the gateway/router with ethernet cable.  I wanted to make sure that it is not relevant.  I assume that the DHCP system does not separate out different subnets, especially with this range and subnet class you can only get one.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

I share this with other occupants, and I see devies computers on the network currently.  Two are mine, and one is a server.  Only one is connected via ethernet, which belongs to the other occupants.  None of them have application rules/port forwarding, or any of the blocking/scheduling services for parents (I assume).  Just checked.

Check. 

I do not have two game consoles, or any at all.  The hostnames tell me neither does anyone on the network (both of the devices connected to the network I cannot manage have hostnames that mention PC/laptop model numbers).  I have disabled it for now.  I have tried it during my testing with both UPnP on and off.  Thanks for letting me know this is not required.

Thanks for your help so far.  Please let me know if I am missing any details.  I do not want to be one of those guys.  Wish I could have responded sooner, but I often have trouble logging into the forums.

Ok.

Since Advanced -> IP Address Distribution, does not exist go to Advanced Setup -> DHCP Settings.

What is the DHCP Range?

Please note, the wording in there might be...

a) Starting IP Address and Ending IP Address

b) OR Starting IP Address and the number of users.

0 Likes
alharaka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok.

Since Advanced -> IP Address Distribution, does not exist go to Advanced Setup -> DHCP Settings.

What is the DHCP Range?

192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.254 with a class C subnet (255.255.255.0). Lease time is 86400.  No domain is set. DNS servers are dynamic.

Please note, the wording in there might be...

a) Starting IP Address and Ending IP Address

b) OR Starting IP Address and the number of users.

Sorry for leaving that out.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

This means following the directions at http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubuntu-linux-convert-dhcp-network-configuration-to-static-ip-con...

#2 The Static IP must be outside of that DHCP range of the router. So, this means your IP has be above 1 but below 64.

--

OR if the router can give the computer the same IP Address each time, you could do that.

alharaka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok.

Ok, I get the point here.  I had even set up a static IP following the direction you sent me before your response, just within the DHCP server's range, because I am a clever **bleep** like that.  I can now even see the port open on http://www.canyouseeme.org.  Problem is when I try to SSH over that port (from the external, not internal IP) I get "Network error: connection refused" from my ssh client.  When I use the internal IP address, I can SSH on that port just fine.  The firewall (ufw) is open to ANYONE, so that should not mean local subnet exclusive.  Since I can access locally, but not remotely, I assume the router here is still the problem.  Essentially, it is a variation of the same problem I saw before.  Is there anyway to check the configuration is working correctly from telnet?  I get to BusyBox when I telnet into the router, but it is stripped down as opposed to a normal Linux shell (cannot even use more and obvious commands do not do what I expect), I am not sure what to do from here.

The router says all I have to do is click apply and close the tab to web admin pages.  Is that not true?  Do I also have to restart?  This is not to say I will not try that momentarily, but these routers are so poorly documented I have no clue what is going on.  The NAT table and logs mention none of this, so I am not sure what I look for other than theiry awful UI which miswords things seemingly on purpose.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alharaka wrote:

Ok, I get the point here.  I had even set up a static IP following the direction you sent me before your response, just within the DHCP server's range, because I am a clever **bleep** like that.  I can now even see the port open on http://www.canyouseeme.org.  Problem is when I try to SSH over that port (from the external, not internal IP) I get "Network error: connection refused" from my ssh client.  When I use the internal IP address, I can SSH on that port just fine.  The firewall (ufw) is open to ANYONE, so that should not mean local subnet exclusive.  Since I can access locally, but not remotely, I assume the router here is still the problem.  Essentially, it is a variation of the same problem I saw before.  Is there anyway to check the configuration is working correctly from telnet?  I get to BusyBox when I telnet into the router, but it is stripped down as opposed to a normal Linux shell (cannot even use more and obvious commands do not do what I expect), I am not sure what to do from here.

The router says all I have to do is click apply and close the tab to web admin pages.  Is that not true?  Do I also have to restart?  This is not to say I will not try that momentarily, but these routers are so poorly documented I have no clue what is going on.  The NAT table and logs mention none of this, so I am not sure what I look for other than theiry awful UI which miswords things seemingly on purpose.

Thanks again for the help.

Ok.

This means the issue is a loopback issue.

#1 The router supports loopback, but this feature is turned off?

#2 The router supports loopbacl, but this is being filtered/blocked by the router?

#3 OR the router does not support loopback.

portforward.com -> forum -> Knowledge Base -> router does not support loopback

0 Likes