Powerline Router
fun4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have just purchased a Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit in the hopes of finally getting strong internet access for my wife's desktop in the kitchen.  Nothing that I do with the Westell wireless router will provide a strong enough signal for her to stay on line.

This WD device uses the house's electric lines to deliver the internet signal .  A router is required at each end, and provides a hard-wired Ethernet connection.

I plan to connect the WD router to the Westell Ethernet output, and to let the wireless functioning for wireless use throughout the rest of the house.

Is there anything that I need to know in adding this WD device to my home network? 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Powerline Router
fun4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

Installed the WD Powerline Router  today, and everything works as advertised.  I now have the same speeds on my wife's remote desktop as I have with my direct Ethernet connection!

Simple installation.  The toughest part was changing the wiring configuration at the remote site in order to get an outlet freed-up.

I sure wish someone had told me about this gear before.  I've been struggling with trying to get a wireless signal to her computer for years.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WD device should be pretty much plug and play. Connect the appropriate Ethernet cables, connect the Powerline adapters and they should link right up and work as if you had an Ethernet connection at the other end. That's ususally how they work out of the box.

fun4u
Enthusiast - Level 1

Installed the WD Powerline Router  today, and everything works as advertised.  I now have the same speeds on my wife's remote desktop as I have with my direct Ethernet connection!

Simple installation.  The toughest part was changing the wiring configuration at the remote site in order to get an outlet freed-up.

I sure wish someone had told me about this gear before.  I've been struggling with trying to get a wireless signal to her computer for years.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear all went well with connecting the Powerline equipment 🙂

0 Likes