Problems with High-Speed DSL 11214 Bensonhurst Brooklyn
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since 7:40 am my DSL has been slowing down to a crawl then stopping then the modem lights flip out then the modem resets itself or I have to manually turn it off/reset it. This has happened no less than 12 times in the last 4 hours and all Verizon says is its my modem (Westell 6100G) hooked up to a US robotics wired router on a Win 7 machine

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

0 Likes
Re: Problems with High-Speed DSL 11214 Bensonhurst Brooklyn
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try to log into the Westell at http://192.168.1.1/ from any PC and then do the following, based on what you see.

1: If you see a Red and Black Verizon page with a bunch of information on it, click on the System Monitoring at the top navigation and then choose Advanced Monitors on the Left hand side Navigation. Press Yes past the prompt if any appears, and then choose Trasceiver Statistics.

2: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, select Troubleshooting, DSL, and then choose DSL/Transceiver Statistics.

Provide the Information you see there by copying and pasting it. It will contain information such as Attenuation, Margin, Power Level, and show the modem speed.

Should you be asked for a login, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

The information I'm asking for here will let users who help on this board see how your line is running. If the physical loop is OK, they will have to check into other things. In the past, Verizon tech support agents used to ask for this information over the phone to verify how a line was operating, even though they could probably pull it up from the equipment on their end. Lately it seems that many of the agents no longer ask for this information for whatever reason (either they cannot see it, or are not trained to do so) but it's often a great place to start when slow speeds and disconnects are occurring.

#3 If you can't log-in to the router, please post and we will go from there to try to figure out what is going on....

0 Likes
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

It would APPEAR that my modem being broken wasn't the cause of my problems even tho both people I spoke to in India one with a heavier accent than the first and both equally hard to understand both swore that a modem only resets itself like that "IF" its broken...

Anyway my reset issues stopped at 1:40pm yesterday but slow speeds and lag persisted all day til 11pm last night when I shut down for the night...

Didn't get my transceiver info from last night but this is what I have for this morning.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)7104860
Margin (dB)8.214.3
Line Attenuation (dB)45.320.7
Transmit Power (dBm)19.811.8

0 Likes
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Guess I spoke too soon about my issue being resolved. 7:48am I decided to log into an online game and within minutes my modem started acting up again.   Can a game cause my connection to act up?

Anyway here are my Transcievers during the crash while I was reseting

Just after modem acted up and reset itself

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision

Vendor ID Code

4D54

Line Mode

ADSL_2plus

Data Path

INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

After a manual reset from a second loss of service

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision

Vendor ID Code

4D54

Line Mode

ADSL_2plus

Data Path

INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path

Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)

Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Transmit Power (dBm)

0 Likes
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah this is alot of fun     12 resets manual or auto in the last hour 7:48am to 8:42am

DSL light goes from solid green to blinking then the rest of the lights follow and half of those resets the internet light comes up solid red instead of green forcing a manual reset.

And for good measure there is a reset during me typing this..................

0 Likes
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anybody who was wondering my modem issue finally stopped at 9:18am after the 18th reset/loss of signal. My current Transc

Transceiver Statistics

Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathINTERLEAVED

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)5720860
Margin (dB)2.414.1
Line Attenuation (dB)44.720.9
Transmit Power (dBm)19.612.0

The only number that makes sense to me is the 5720 and I've noticed my speeds have been slow and laggy all day  The 7104 from this morning is about what I normally get and it seems I've lost about 2000kbits. I'm glad its Sunday and theres football on because my connection almost made it impossible to play any online games.

I'm waiting for a new modem which should arrive on Tuesday and that "WILL" fix my issue because I was told that there is NO WAY that this could be a line issue at all.

Anybody wanna take bets??

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt the problem is with the modem to say the least. This appears to be a line issue according to those statistics. Unless the modem was damaged by a power surge (Lightning, unclean power) there is no true explanation that would explain elevated attenuation and varied speeds with low margins and high transmit power rather than an issue relating to the line. Either distance, or if this issue only developed from the time you mentioned, line damage.

What I would suggest doing is first testing your line out at your NID if you have access to one. Most modern NIDs have a test jack inside of them that will disconnect the wiring inside of your home while it is in use. In NIDs such as mine, the test jack will actually contain a telephone plug which provides service to the house. Plugging your modem into your NID will rule out any issues relating to the inside wiring, should something have changed. If the Statistics still look bad and problems still occur due to what I've mentioned, then it would be Verizon's job to attempt a fix without reducing speed.

0 Likes
WildDSL001
Enthusiast - Level 2

So after 3 straight days of resets all starting at the same time, today zero resets but speeds aren't full and so far the only lag I'm having is getting to Verizon ALOT of timeouts I knew blaming the modem was too easy a fix for them and I'm still waiting on that new modem to get here

Current Transc

Transceiver Statistics

Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathINTERLEAVED

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)6584860
Margin (dB)5.315.1
Line Attenuation (dB)45.320.7
Transmit Power (dBm)20.112.1

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The statistics still are not the greatest on the downstream. I would give the NID test a shot still to see if anything can be improved on your end of things.

0 Likes