QuickTime not working. Could problem be Verizon?
MARBER1

Short question-- Could the fact that QuickTime isn't working have something to do with Verizon? Longer question version-- I have security cameras outside of my house by ADT. The program that allows me to view the live feed uses QuickTime. It's been working for 2 years, then yesterday it says QuickTime not installed. I check, it is installed, but I uninstall and re-install anyway. The ADT program still says it's uninstalled. I contact ADT, they verify that I have the most updated versions of QuickTime and Java. They ask who my Internet provider is, I say Verizon. They say it's probably Verizon having strengthened their firewall. (Or something like that). Could the fact that QuickTime isn't working have something to do with Verizon? I'll add--I normally don't use QuickTime for anything else, but I tried playing a song with it--the player came up, but the song never played, the waiting circle thing just kept circling. I appreciate any input. Thanks, marber

0 Likes
Re: QuickTime not working. Could problem be Verizon?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're using Chrome and have version 42 or above installed, QuickTime and Java are both "banned" from the browser due to the fact that they use the NPAPI framework, rather than the PPAPI framework. Google disabled support for NPAPI plug-ins, however for the short term they can be re-enabled from chrome://flags . Come September, that workaround will not work.

QuickTime not working is usually not a Verizon problem, but something isolated down to the PC. If QuickTime complains about not being able to load something, then perhaps it's Verizon.

MARBER1

Smith6612,

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the ability to enable the NPAPI for Chrome. They warn of a lot of potential downsides, so I'll have to give it some thought. But I really appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I hadn't even considered it might be the browser. I haven't used Internet Explorer in a long time, but gave it a try and the ADT program is working fine there. So your advice is right on.

Thanks for your help!

marber

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome. Glad I could help!

0 Likes