Rediculous Evening Speeds
andymvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ive had DSL 768, which was too slow. I upgraded to 4mbps. Too slow. Even now, at 7 mbps, im getting 1.0 MBPS MAX during the day (from 12pm - 12am) which is rediculous. Ive had technicians come over and take a look, and nothing. Seriously, Im paying for 7Mbps and im never awake at times to get the speed that i am paying for. Why? Is verizon choking my bandwidth? If there is too much traffic on my line, why am i not placed in another one? Why even have the option to purchase 7mbps when the highest i ever get is 1?

Re: Rediculous Evening Speeds
ScottCA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same problem.

Paying for 7.1 Mbps, getting less than 0.5 Mbps in the evening. But at 6 AM get >5 Mbps.

Customer service had me do the normal things, including reversing the cable into the modem (?). The performance actually went down as I went though these steps during the evening hours.

Sending me a new modem but I don't see how that will solve what is obviously a capacity problem at the Central Station.

Does anyone know how to get a service request to the Central Station?

Would a call to one of the radio shows that discusses computer and technology get some attention?

S

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You guys/gals did not, say:

#1 What the brand and model of your modem is.

#2 What the brand and model of your router is.

0 Likes
ScottCA
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Westell 327W. No additional routers.

S

andymvo
Enthusiast - Level 2

GT704-WG Actiontec here

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@andymvo wrote:

GT704-WG Actiontec here

Ok.

#1 I found the manual / user's guide online. :smileyhappy:

a) https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User...

b) If you do not want to use Google Docs to read it, go to

http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User_Manual_30.15.0.pdf

#2 On your computer check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers.

For example if Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#3 Go the Default Gateway listed, and try to log-in.

By Default the user name admin and the Default password is password.

#4 In the router go to Wireless Setup -> Wireless Basic Settings -> Wireless Status

#5 If you are reading the manual / user's guide (go to page 41 out 144 pages if using Google Docs - otherwise page 40), it shows that the wireless is enabled.

#6 Is Wireless in the router enabled?

#7 If so:

a) Is Security enabled?

b) And what level of Wireless Security is it set to? In the sample screen there, it says WEP 64-Bit.

#8 In the router go Status -> DSL Status

(This is addressed on page 25 out 144 if using Google Docs, otherwise page 24).

#9 Please post the info that is there.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ScottCA wrote:

I have a Westell 327W. No additional routers.

S

If running the blue firmware, go to http://192.168.1.1/ . Choose Troubleshooting, and then click Transceiver Statistics.

If using Verizon-branded firmware (should be Red and Black), go to System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then choose Transceiver statistics. Post up the information you see on that page. If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
ScottCA: Either give Verizon a call and have them put in a ticket to your CO to solve the congestion issue, or visit the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports.com who will definitely work to get this problem solved. As for the call to a radio station, it might. Never hurts to wake people up to have them check things out.

@OP: Do the same as I've mentioned above.
ScottCA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trying DSLReports.com, Verizon Direct. They are at least asking for the right information (tracert data).

Appears to be a problem with this Verizon router: 

L100.LSANCA-DSL-63.verizon-gni.net [71.160.8.1]

Is it normal for customers to detect these peformance issues? Does Verizon monitor the performance of their own equipment?

Thanks for the pointer. Will let you know how this turns out.

S

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
You're welcome, and I would suppose that yes, it is normal for a customer to sometimes notice problems. Whether Verizon monitors their equipment for congestion or not, I don't know but I would imagine at least the backbones are monitored. Let me be the first to say in this thread that I've noticed, along with others some odd issues away from congestion that trashes speeds 24/7 on the DSL. You might have heard about an incompatibility between Juniper ERX routers and some Lucent switches, both of which Verizon utilize that trashes download speeds for people connecting through such equipment. While I know about this and can detect it immediately, it can sometimes take a little bit for users to realize what the issue is. A friend of mine who I've explained the issue to for some time finally noticed what I was talking about today while he was on YouTube. I checked his connection and he was no where near maxed, but his connection was runnning at 160-210KB/s out of 340KB/s with Steam, YouTube and an FTP transfer going. No way he shouldn't have had the connection maxed. Most users would normally not take a second thought about that unless the underlying problem was messing with their ability to browse (and it does. The Lucent/Juniper incompatibility actually messes up TCP transfers, causing literal packet loss due to retransmissions even though packet loss shouldn't be happening, and of course this causes stuff to stall out or slow down with no explanation which is not good).