Replacement Modem ? Free ?
KoolKid2K4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Westell modem from year 2000 when i first got verizon DSL. Can I replace my old modem with the newer model modems verizon now have for free? And how do i request this, is there a section on website for this replacement plan. Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacement Modem ? Free ?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you ask Verizon nicely, they might send you another modem. The only thing that may need to be done is if you are using a very, very old Westell Wirespeed modem (perhaps with the old Bell Atlantic logos on it). Those tend to be old Frame Relay modems that are not compatible with the newer DSL network which uses the ATM network. If they will not send a modem for free, you're always free to go pick up any modem that supports ADSL or to get one directly from Verizon. ADSL2+ modems are preferred.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you ask Verizon nicely, they might send you another modem. The only thing that may need to be done is if you are using a very, very old Westell Wirespeed modem (perhaps with the old Bell Atlantic logos on it). Those tend to be old Frame Relay modems that are not compatible with the newer DSL network which uses the ATM network. If they will not send a modem for free, you're always free to go pick up any modem that supports ADSL or to get one directly from Verizon. ADSL2+ modems are preferred.

KoolKid2K4
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you for the help 🙂

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It isn't a problem 🙂

0 Likes
sigmund6
Enthusiast - Level 1

I read somewhere that I could replace my old Westell modem, Model#6100. The one I have since 2000 seems to working as slow as my old Dial-up was. Can anyone tell me where I can pick up a newer modem? I was told that there were newer ones that were labeled as ADSL and ADSL2. True or false? I'm a retired telephone employee with 37 years service and have been retired for 10 years now. I started when it was New England Telephone & Telegraph and then we became New England Telephone, then we became NYNEX, next it was Bell South, and finally VERIZON. Could someone help me find out where to go? It seems when you try to get to the service support you end up at billing. HELP!!!!!!!!!  

cas1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having a lot of problems with slow connection this week. I also have the 6100 and was assuming it was the modem until I read that others are having a problem. Not sure where to go with this, I also tried to contact verizon but got sales dept. which was no help.

luzdetualma

Smiley Sad My conexion has been very very slow lately, I also have a WESTELL 6100, and is form 2007, Smiley Sad do you think they will replace it free of charge?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I mentioned above, all you need to do is ask. Honestly if the connection is slow, I would take more measures to troubleshoot the problem than just replacing the modem. You'll more than likely wind up with another 6100, or you'll get a 7500 and it will probably not improve anything.

wmrware
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thought the sslow modem speed likely related to a strike by Verizon employees, but perhaps that was just landline people.

rirwin1

have been slow also, but I have a westall model 2200, which from previous posts that mention higher numbers, could be really old?

I've done the power down everything, etc, and doesn't seem to help. 

0 Likes