Replacing DSL modem
ewhinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I replace the Verizon-provided DSL modem with my own device (Cisco Linksys)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Replacing DSL modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

You need to get info from the Westell while the Westell is hanlding the public IP before setting up the other modem combo.

#1 Go to 192.168.1.1

#2  If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Verizon Username/Password

admin/modem serial number

#3 Note by serial number, I do not mean type in the words serial number. I mean, find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of the Westell.

#4 Now there is different Westell firmware, and since I don't know which firmware your modem combo has - I will give to you directions for both.

#5 If you have the White and Blue firmware, which looks something like the sample screens that you see at http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-westell-b90-327w15-06-westell-firmware

then at the home page, there either be a release button or a disconnect button.

#6 Press that button and then disconnect the phone wire from the Westell.

#7 If you pressed the release button:

a) Go to Status -> About.

b) Record down the MAC Address.

#5 If you have the Red and Black firmware, which looks something like the sample screens that you see at http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Westell/A90-750015-07/default.htm

Go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

#6 It should tell you if you are on PPPoE or Routed Bridge.

#7 Note: It might not call it PPPoe, it might call it just PPP.

#8 If you are on Routed Bridge, then record down the MAC Address.

#9 Now go to My Network ->  Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (DSL).

#10 In there either be a release button or a disconnect button.

#11  Press that button and then disconnect the phone wire from the Westell.

If you pressed a release button and recorded down a MAC Address, then you need to use RFC 2684 bridge mode without setting a static IP (at Setup -> Basic Setup in the Linksys) and you need to spoof/clone the MAC Address of the Westell in your new modem combo (at Setup -> MAC Address Clone in the Linksys)

Otherwise, you are on RFC 2516 PPPoE.

The setting for the VPI and VCI is simple: 0 for VPI and 35 for VCI.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are free to, as long as your device supports ADSL connectivity via a built-in modem. A standard router will not and cannot be connected to a phone line.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smith6612 wrote:

You are free to, as long as your device supports ADSL connectivity via a built-in modem. A standard router will not and cannot be connected to a phone line.

I agree with that.

However, if the OP meant have their own RJ-45 WAN port router handle the public IP - then they would have to put their modem combo into bridge mode.

dslreports has a FAQ about that but that site is having issues, so in the meantime it would help to know the brand and model of the Verizon provided (and most likely branded) modem - so we can tell how to put the modem combo into bridge mode.

ewhinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyone, thanks for the quick replies.

The existing Verizon-provided device is a Westell 327W DSL modem/switch/router. I would like to replace it with a Cisco Linksys X2000 modem/switch/router.

I wasn't sure if Verizon is filtering on the device MAC address. I tried calling tech support, but you know how that went.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That unit will work fine.

Verizon doesn't filter devices by MAC address to my knowledge. In most of their service areas, which use PPPoE connectivity for getting the IP address you simply need your Verizon Username and Password to set up the Linksys to use. In Verizon's DHCP areas (which are few, but are found commonly out in the Western service areas rather than the East Coast. Your current modem should tell you what you're using, however if you have DHCP in your area, just leave your DSL modem off for a few hours before connecting the Linksys so that the DHCP lease on Verizon's end expires.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

You need to get info from the Westell while the Westell is hanlding the public IP before setting up the other modem combo.

#1 Go to 192.168.1.1

#2  If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Verizon Username/Password

admin/modem serial number

#3 Note by serial number, I do not mean type in the words serial number. I mean, find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of the Westell.

#4 Now there is different Westell firmware, and since I don't know which firmware your modem combo has - I will give to you directions for both.

#5 If you have the White and Blue firmware, which looks something like the sample screens that you see at http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-westell-b90-327w15-06-westell-firmware

then at the home page, there either be a release button or a disconnect button.

#6 Press that button and then disconnect the phone wire from the Westell.

#7 If you pressed the release button:

a) Go to Status -> About.

b) Record down the MAC Address.

#5 If you have the Red and Black firmware, which looks something like the sample screens that you see at http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Westell/A90-750015-07/default.htm

Go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

#6 It should tell you if you are on PPPoE or Routed Bridge.

#7 Note: It might not call it PPPoe, it might call it just PPP.

#8 If you are on Routed Bridge, then record down the MAC Address.

#9 Now go to My Network ->  Network Connections -> Broadband Connection (DSL).

#10 In there either be a release button or a disconnect button.

#11  Press that button and then disconnect the phone wire from the Westell.

If you pressed a release button and recorded down a MAC Address, then you need to use RFC 2684 bridge mode without setting a static IP (at Setup -> Basic Setup in the Linksys) and you need to spoof/clone the MAC Address of the Westell in your new modem combo (at Setup -> MAC Address Clone in the Linksys)

Otherwise, you are on RFC 2516 PPPoE.

The setting for the VPI and VCI is simple: 0 for VPI and 35 for VCI.

ewhinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I'm up and running on my Linksys device (the phone cord that came with it was faulty)

0 Likes