Router question...
AngelaW

I have dial up with a Westell G90 modem model # 6100G. I tried connecting it to my Linksys wireless-g broadband router model # wrt54g. My laptop says it's connected with an excellent signal but when I try to open IE it says it's not connected. I'm not very good with computers so please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Do I need a special cable or different wireless router?

0 Likes
Re: Router question...
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can be connected to a wireless router all day long at 100MBPS but not have internet. The problem is there is no actual internet connection getting to your router.

0 Likes
AngelaW

So what do I need to do to get wireless?

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do you have the 6100 Modem connected to the Router?

0 Likes
AngelaW

Through the Y-cable it came with.

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have a phone line from the phone jack to the back of the 6100 then an ethernet from the modem to the router?

Also, is your modem displaying all three green lights with the DSL light being solid?

0 Likes
AngelaW

Yes the jack runs to the modem through the phone line it came with. And yes the ethernet cord connects the modem to the router. All 3 lights on the modem are on. Data flashes but Internet and DSL are solid.

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does your router show that it has a data connection?

0 Likes
AngelaW

When I hook everything up 3 lights come on, the power light, the internet light, and the WLAN light. Not sure if that answers your question.

0 Likes
homercles82
Enthusiast - Level 3

On your laptop that is connected wirelessly do this for me

click Start then go to RUN. In the dialog box that pops up type cmd

A black window should appear. In that window type this exactly

ping www.google.com

then hit Enter

it will run a few tests to see if it can send data to google.com. If it times out for all the tests it will say, "Request timed out" that means you have no internet connection.

0 Likes