Slow DSL Connection
jb315
Enthusiast - Level 1

For about a week now my connection has degraded to upload speed of 479Kbps, and a download speed of 489Kbps.

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate

Westell B90-21005-04 Wirespeed DSL Modem

Linksys WRT54G Router

I have tried everything that is listed on the Verizon Support Page, and other pages, to include connecting to the NID outside the house, to verify it is not the house wiring.

All test report no packet loss, all looks good except speed.

Thank-you

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Connection
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

If the speed at the NIC was also slow it is time to call Verizon for a line check and a visit from the field tech.  I have had good luck using the following service center number 800-567-6789.

rslegge

I have had Verizon DSL (1.5Mbps) for over three years.  I check my bandwidth everytime I sign on.  I have been getting 1.5Mbps solid all that time until 5/13 when it dropped to 1.25Mbps and has stayed there since - day or night. 

I used the online chat help and, needless to say, their 'help' was to ask me if I had a DSL filter on my modem line.  They also wanted to do a remote connection to my computer to clear my cache but gave it up when I told them I was running Ubuntu 10.04. 

Something happened on the Verizon side on 5/13 that dropped my bandwidth, but there is no one I can contact to tell me what it was. 

I suspect that the sell out of the telephone lines to Frontier Communications here is WV is behind it. 

0 Likes
jb315
Enthusiast - Level 1

got home from work and phoned that 800 number.  line check failed, tech should be here between 8 and 12....in the mean time they are monitoring the line.  cant wait to find out what the problem is. will post what solution is.

0 Likes
caliicobox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi

I have had Verizon dsl for quite a few years.

I have been paying for 3 mbps.

Last week I began a promo that is suppose to give me up to 7 mbps.

I haven't noticed any change in speed.  In  fact it seems slower.

I did many speed tests and they all come back in the  1.5 speed range.

What's up with that?

Why is my DSL so slow?

What can I do to speed things up?

I have a Westell Wire Speed router (?)

Newer  Vista os

They did send me a wireless router but I haven't opened it yet.

And the worse site that is the slowest is Verizon Central or in fact

any site that is Verizon.

0 Likes
astat78

any luck ? 

I got 3.0 m/s  plan   but my speed is always 

Speed(Down/Up)

1976 Kbps / 736 Kbps
modem westell a90-750015-07
windows vista 
only one pc on that line. no wireless use . 
no filter problems. 
any help guys ?  
0 Likes