Slow DSL. Verizon refuses to reprovision my line to the speed I've received for over a 1.5 years
stevedave1

So i subscribe to the 3-7 mbps plan with verizon dsl.  For the first 1.5 years of my service my modem has been connected at 7.1 mbps connection.  For the last two weeks I have noticed that I can't achieve over 2.3 mbps with speedtest.net and my modem shows a connectin of only 4510 kbps.  Nothing has changed on my line and no other phone jacks are being used in my house.  I have contacted support 3 times and each time they say they will escalate the ticket and get the line provisioned to my previous speed.  This has yet to happen after being promised over two weeks ago.  I was hoping someone here might have a better way to get verizon to take my request seriously and actually offer me help...  I have rebooted and reset my modem several times.  Below is my current WAN status from my actiontec modem:

VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:ADSL2+
Broadband Negotiated Mode:ADSL2+
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:4510 Kbps
Upstream Speed:633 Kbps
Retrains:22
Retrain Timer:0 Days, 9H:4M:8S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:12947
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :612
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :29041
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :113745
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :1141
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :19 dB
SNR Upstream :19 dB
Attenuation Downstream :28 dB
Attenuation Upstream :17 dB
Power Downstream0 dBm
Power Upstream

Can anyone offer some help?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL. Verizon refuses to reprovision my line to the speed I've received for over a 1.5 year
Pee-Dee

the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I spoke with a tech and told them that my 7mbps speed (over a year at thet speed) is now at 4.5. They send a new modem which did not fix the problem. After another chat with a tech, I was told that I was reprovosioned to the slower speed. 

I was told for an extra fee, I can get my speed to 7.  After some spirited exchanges, I got the speed back to where it needs to be. 

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL. Verizon refuses to reprovision my line to the speed I've received for over a 1.5 year
MannuS1

You are not the only one. I have been getting this kind of garbage service for years. I have gone through so many phone calls that I can't even keep track of them. I'm on the phone right now even, been on the line for 23 minutes only to have a 1 minute conversation so far. Their customer service is just as slow as their DSL. Having been a customer for over 10 years I expect better. Is there any way to fill out complaints or customer service surveys or anything? I doubt they will be doing anything about this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have a large amount of FEC errors showing up in a 30 minute window. Are you sure the line wasn't optimized down due to this? That number should be as close to zero as possible.

Start checking the line for noise, first. Bursts of noise can cause interference that other statistics like SNR may not pick up on right away. If you have a landline telephone with the DSL, do a silent test. Call another phone (mobile phone preferred, muted) or just press a number on the phone to kill the dial tone. Then, listen to the line for anything that sounds out of place, like electricial buzzing or static/crackling. If the line is clear, you will then want to consider getting something such as a home run installed, which is a dedicated line between your DSL modem and Verizon's demarc/NID. Failing that, Verizon needs to scope your line and determine what is intefering with the DSL.

Also note that degraded speeds can also happen if your modem is out of sync and you're on 7.1Mbps. The newer Juniper edge routers being used by Verizon can sometimes cause older DSLAMs to encounter buffer overruns - that is, the data queue used for handling data transfer from one point to another overflows. When the buffer overflows, data is discarded/lost entirely, or is damaged. This reduces speeds as protocols like TCP see this as packet loss. Your connection must be up to speed end to end or it is out of spec.

Proper sync speeds are 7616kbps down, 864kbps up for 7.1Mbps Interleaved, or 7840 Down, 864kbps up with FastPath. The last digit may vary 1-2 points due to ADSL2/2+

0 Likes
rbanks10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also an  ASLAM too!   Here is my roulter data:

Firmware Version: GT784WN-VZ-1.1.6
GT784WNV

WAN Status Connection StatusConnection Status
Broadband:CONNECTED
Internet Service Provider:CONNECTED
PPP StatusPPP Parameter Status
User Name:admin
PPP Type:PPPoE
LCP State:UP
IPCP State:UP
Authentication Failures:0
Session Time:1 Days, 17H:56M:40S
Packets Sent:5385382
Packets Received:6330356
Broadband StatusBroadband Parameter Status
VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:ADSL2+
Broadband Negotiated Mode:ADSL2+
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:1792 Kbps
Upstream Speed:447 Kbps
Retrains:4
Retrain Timer:0 Days, 10H:9M:35S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:3485
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :741
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :96
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :27679
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :10 dB
SNR Upstream :20 dB
Attenuation Downstream :64 dB
Attenuation Upstream :36 dB
Power Downstream16.3 dBm
Power Upstream12.3 dBm

Copyright © 2011 Actiontec Inc. All Rights Reserved
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help (if you have not already done so)

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

--

For example of what info the Transceiver Statistics includes, see the OP's post.

0 Likes