Slow DSL after midnight
namelesslh
Enthusiast - Level 1

DSL slows after midnight because businesses is sending information.

All cash registers in stores are really computers.

If it is a grocery store they dump the store computer to the District computer who separates cash from items sold.

The cash information goes to National Headquarters. Items sold goes to Warehouse for restocking stores.

Banks are receiving and sending checks, debits, and funds transfers.

Social Security is sent to banks.

The BOTTOM LINE is there is a limit to how much time you have to use you computer because everyone is time sharing the network.

File transfer on your computer is measured in seconds    kilobytes/SECOND  or whatever.

The smaller the part of a second you are sending, the lower the KGB/second.

The internet has exploded faster than companies can lay cables or build microwave towers.

Some companies over book,  just like the airlines.

Hope this helps people who can not find a technical cause to the slow DSL.

My DSL runs for  6 bytes/second  to 64kbs I have very selodom seen over 100kb.

Re: Slow DSL after midnight
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm kind of wondering, where did you get this info from? If I'm not mistaken a lot of the data Grocery Stores and other commercial locations tend to use can be sent over dial-up normally within a few minutes in bulk using compression. DSL should never get loaded down that much after midnight due to businesses pushing out information (which is probably done real-time anyways, though I don't know this for sure). A bunch of businesses I would also imagine would also be on T1/Fractional T1 lines, which by the way aren't very fast compared to the backbones coming in.

Generally after Midnight is the maintenance period for Verizon in my area. Once in a blue moon I can catch them performing work on the network as the DSL tends to act irregularly, but it definitely isn't a case of the backbone being saturated.