Re: Slow DSL connection and drops
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Tech you spoke to is correct about the surge protector. While I'm sure many of them with with DSL without an issue, there's always that oddity that might show up especially with the higher speeds you're running at. Best to always keep the modem off of those as a result.

Anyhow, your issue doesn't seem to be due to distance at the moment, but more or less just the quality of the signal coming in. The upstream isn't synced properly. Not sure about the downstream yet as I haven't seen too many 15Mbps lines to remember the sync rate, but it is definitely past the 15Mbps barrier thanks to overprovisioning. If you can get access to the central box (if it has test jacks) by asking your Apartment Management should it be in a maintenance closet, see if you can take the modem down there and obtain the statistics. If not, get a Verizon Technician to come out and repair/condition the line on their end as rain should not affect the DSL.

Mabry1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon DSL 3360 Kbps / 864 Kbps user on Westell A90-750015-07 running VER:5.01.00.02/A2pB020b3.d20h.

I am getting awfully slow speeds both directions and the router will reboot and/or reset wireless several times a day, both under heavy throughput loads and under light loads.

Lately it has been rebooting and causing the gateway to go offline until I reboot the unit via the web ui as well.  

Any tips, is my box, my inside wires or an issue for Verizon to resolve.  Let me know what all you need to help me run this down.  Below is actually a pretty good test result, normally it can be half that.  😞

Speed Test Results

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code 4D54 

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path FAST  

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360                                  864

Margin (dB)                          22.3                                   10.0

Line Attenuation (dB)    31.0                                   14.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 7.8                                      11.9

Sure would love to get these speeds up consistently and keep the router from dropping offline all the time.  Right now Sprint EVDO and ATT 3G are faster for me.  😞

Any assistance would be welcome.  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mabry wrote:

Verizon DSL 3360 Kbps / 864 Kbps user on Westell A90-750015-07 running VER:5.01.00.02/A2pB020b3.d20h.

I am getting awfully slow speeds both directions and the router will reboot and/or reset wireless several times a day, both under heavy throughput loads and under light loads.

Lately it has been rebooting and causing the gateway to go offline until I reboot the unit via the web ui as well.  

Any tips, is my box, my inside wires or an issue for Verizon to resolve.  Let me know what all you need to help me run this down.

Sure would love to get these speeds up consistently and keep the router from dropping offline all the time.  Right now Sprint EVDO and ATT 3G are faster for me.  😞

Any assistance would be welcome.  

#1 Did you try connecting the modem to the NID?

If not, try that so that we can know if the issue is OR is not about your inside phone lines.

#2 If you don't know what a NID is, look at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

Mabry1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 Did you try connecting the modem to the NID?

If not, try that so that we can know if the issue is OR is not about your inside phone lines.

No, but I will tomorrow.  Which of the 

Margin (dB)                          22.3                                   10.0

Line Attenuation (dB)    31.0                                   14.5

Transmit Power (dBm) 7.8                                      11.9

should I see a change in if it is indeed my inside wiring?  Are any of those values unacceptable or on the low normal ranges?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right now your statistics look to be just fine. If there is in fact a problem with the inside wiring, the key things to watch are the pieces of information you highlighted below. Making sure the speed remains at 3360/864kbps, a decent change in quality will be indicated by lower attenuation values (3+dB lower), higher margin values, and lower transmit powers (usually a difference greater than 2dBm).

Mabry1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

Right now your statistics look to be just fine. If there is in fact a problem with the inside wiring, the key things to watch are the pieces of information you highlighted below. Making sure the speed remains at 3360/864kbps, a decent change in quality will be indicated by lower attenuation values (3+dB lower), higher margin values, and lower transmit powers (usually a difference greater than 2dBm).

Connected to the NID

Transceiver Information

Down Stream Path         Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)   3360                                  864

Margin (dB)                       22.3                                   14.0

Line Attenuation (dB)      29.0                                   13.5

Transmit Power (dBm)    7.5                                     11.9

Line attenuation down went from 31.0 -> 29.0, up from 14.5 -> 13.5, both directions Transmit stayed about the same as well as downstream Margin, while upstream Margin went from 10.0 to 14.0.

Speeds are effectively unchanged (New Results) and I have not used the router enough yet today to see if it reboots under load.

Anything further I should check on my end?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The statistics improved a bit at the NID. Those statistics would be more solid than the ones from inside of the house. They could have changed due to a number of reasons though. As a basic, just double check over the condition of your jacks to make sure they are free of corrosion, dust, dirt, and any possibility of shorting. Also just double check over the inside of the jacks to make sure connections aren't loose or stating to bridge.