Slow DSL performance NOT due to Verizon OR to DSL modem--BUT THE ETHERNET ROUTER
acdavisad1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't participate in Forums usually, but stumbled on something that was VERY useful to me today, and think it might be helpful to others--it may already have been discovered before; if so, it won't hurt to repeat it.

I had spent DAYS trying to figure out why I was getting such terrible download speeds when my modem told me Verizon was delivering the speed I'm paying for. Talked to Verizon support, turned modem on and off--even updated DSL modem firmware. NO ONE suggested the thing that made the difference--TURNING THE ***ETHERNET ROUTER*** ON AND OFF. Just a desperation, what-the-hell-it-can't-hurt sort of move on my part, but when I did it, MY SPEED PROBLEMS IMMEDIATELY VANISHED. I'm not a tecchie, but suspect the issue has something to do with things getting out of synch in the Ethernet subsystem. I don't know why this simple method isn't one of the STANDARD things mentioned in "fix-it" lists--or why the Verizon tech person didn't mention it. Hope it helps someone else. A Davis

Re: Slow DSL performance NOT due to Verizon OR to DSL modem--BUT THE ETHERNET ROUTER
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey, it happens. Glad to hear you found the issue you were having!

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL performance NOT due to Verizon OR to DSL modem--BUT THE ETHERNET ROUTER
masho95
Enthusiast - Level 3

One of the first questions that tech support asks people having trouble is if the DSL modem is connected directly to the modem. I don't see how they missed this step when working with you, but glad to hear that you got your issue resolved.

acdavisad1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I assume you mean "if the DSL modem is directly connected to the computer" (?), i.e., if there is no router involved. Verizon support DOES ask if you're directly connected or if there's a wireless bridge of some sort. But that isn't the case with me. I would THINK that it would be commonplace situation for an ethernet router to be in play even in small networks like mine, when there's more than one computer in the office. I agree with what I think you meant. This should be a "no brainer" question for Verizon support to ask. But in my case, they didn't.

0 Likes