Slow internet speed -upgraded it to highest speed
ginnylin4
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had FiOS internet for about four years and never questioned the speed 10/2, but I had it plugged into the router.  On 3/4, I upgraded to TV FiOS/internet and phone bundle.  I do not have my computer where the router is located now (downstairs) and I had asked them to move it upstairs, but left before they had done it.  When I checked the speed (I guess the wireless speed since it is not plugged in to the router), it was 15.66/10 mbps.  I ordered the 35/35 mbps speed bundle.  I called Verizon and asked them about it and she checked the speed and said that it was "pretty good" considering it is wireless.  What?  I am not getting what I am paying for.  Do I need a DSL filter on all the phone lines?  Do I need a new router (I still have the old one)?  I have read on the community here that everyone has called several times to get an answer to the slow internet speed problem. Does anyone have the 35/35 mbps speed plan and have it work at this speed? I might as well go down to the 15 or 25 plan if that speed is all I am every going to get......But maybe if I go down to 25 plan, I'll get 10 or 15...... I will continue to try and work with Verizon to get this solved.   .Thanks for any help.

Re: Slow internet speed -upgraded it to highest speed
Jerrold_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to hear about your trouble with speeds.

• The speeds we offer do not apply to wireless connections.
  • There are to many variables that could affect speeds wirelessly. 
  • Regarding not getting what you are paying for, you can check by using a physical connection.
  • The router you were issued will support speeds that we provide.
  • If you were wanting to relocate BHR, you can move to any active coax jack.

If you were needing further assistance just let us know, would be happy to assist.

moheganer

i ditched my internet service today after 5 years with Verizon.The last 2 years I had hi-speed 4-7 service without a problem.On march 23 I upgraded to 10-15.It worked fine during day hours but degraded to dial-up speeds after 6 p.m.After 2+ weeks dealing with tech support and many promises how the problem would be solved i gave up and went back to my original 4-7 plan. Now that does the same thing at night as the upgraded plan.Nothing changed at my end-the upgrade destroyed my service .Unbelievable Verizon could not fix this.wish me luck with Comcast!

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear we are losing your business. If there is anything that we can do please let us know

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good luck with Comcast. The issue you had/have with Verizon is something that can be solved, and would be a case of congestion that has gotten rather common. Generally the phone support is the worst avenue to go through in regards to slow speeds. Around here, there's Verizon employees that can help get these problems solved, and then there sites such as DSLReports that have Verizon Direct forums which also have Verizon employees helping people out in there. For the most part, it takes no more than a few days to get a resolution. It's nothing more than a routing change on Verizon's end, or in some cases a move to other equipment. It's obviously a quick fix, so it's not something that may last.

As for the OP: When you get FiOS, it's always best to test your speeds on an Ethernet connection for a week after first getting it installed. Wireless is too prone to interference to be making assumptions on. Once the speeds are seen as solid on Ethernet, from there, you can see why the Wireless is slow. The routers Verizon provides are Wireless G routers, as such they will not be able to transfer any more than 22Mbps download and upload under ideal conditions. That is only in one direction at any given time, and is provided nothing else is utilizing the wireless. If you're looking for the best speed possible, run Ethernet to all devices that are not moving around a lot such as Desktop PCs, Blu-Ray Players, Game Consoles and TVs. Anything else that cannot be connected through Ethernet or is not practical to hook up, can use the Wireless. Wireless N will help you out in terms of speed and let you get the full 35Mbps up and down, but keep in mind, it still is wireless under the hood.