Slow to No Internet Connection on High Speed DSL when annual music festival was in town.
DerekD2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently I was on-call for work from 8/1 thru 8/5. I typically use my high speed DSL connection and a VPN connection to access my employer's network, email, apps, etc. The internet speed and connection has never been an issue before while working from home and completing on-call tasks on my PC. 

Unfortunatly, I was unable to do my job this year due to the poor qualitiy of my home DSL connection. This is unacceptable and put my job at risk while trying to resolve off-hour issues on the evenings of both 8/2 and 8/3/2014. 

It has come to my understanding that the lack of service or slow service was due to the annual music festival in my town (Musikfest in Bethlehem Pennsylvania). 

If this is in fact the reason behind my lack of internet service for the week, I truly hope this is resolved before the 2015 festival. If not, I will not hesitate to change providers. Also, I refuse to upgrade to a faster connection for only one week of the year. 

Thanks,

Derek

0 Likes
Re: Slow to No Internet Connection on High Speed DSL when annual music festival was in town.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are there a lot of businesses nearby you that have DSL which are getting slammed with traffic via their Wi-Fi? Do you come out of the Central office or a remote terminal (You can ask Verizon this question).

Generally, congestion like this happens at a DSLAM level, so there would need to be a lot of volume going through the DSLAM in order to cause a slowdown like this. Slowdowns are more likely off of RTs due to limited bandwidth available to them.

Re: Slow to No Internet Connection on High Speed DSL when annual music festival was in town.
DerekD2
Enthusiast - Level 1
I'm unsure of the amount of permanent businesses that use DSL. I do live in the downtown area of a smaller city. The festival without a doubt brought NY service to a halt. There are tons of vendors (food, mercy, art, etc.) Who I have need told were provided with DSL from Verizon.

Strangely, while my service did immediately get better once this festival ended, the DSL speed seems like it is slower than ever. A simple YouTube video cannot play without needing to pause to buffer every few seconds. This was not the case before the festival was in town. I have heard similar complaints from neighbors as well.
0 Likes