Still no fix from Verizon
drewko
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 1 Mbps DSL. It's all I need or want but my conneciton has been deterioating for several weeks now. Currently running at 864 and 160 kbps which is not acceptable to me. No I do not want or need FIOS.

I connected the DSL modem/router direct to the NID, bypassing house wiring. Still get the same poor result with the transceiver SNR's fluctuating between 30 and down to the 20s and teens. I am five blocks from to the CO and typically had solid 30+ SNR in the past, but not anymore.

I have spent several hours on the phone with the Verizon call center going through the entire "what color is your modem... what color is the background on the modem stats page... are the modem lights on?..." routine. The result was that I now have a new modem from Verizon which I neither need nor want.

Also had a tech out here to check the wires, but he did not have the DSL equipment. I explained to him that I can occasionally hear crackling on the phones (wired; not wireless, and plugged direct at the NID; DSL modem turned off), but he didn't hear anything while he was here. He did check the connections in the NID and up on the pole.

Noting that the SNRs improved for a little while after tapping the receiver hook several times I wrote a script that causes a dialup modem to flash the line every ten minutes in an effort to keep the SNR consistently high, which it does very well. But I am still provisioned at 864/160.

This is absurd: five blocks from the CO and I have to spend hours on the phone with the Verizon call center half a world away in Calcutta, explaining what color my modem is, etc. I'll have to wait now until I have another afternoon free to try the call center again... In the meantime my dialup modem is flashing the line every ten minutes...

0 Likes
Re: Still no fix from Verizon
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi drewko,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes