Terrible internet service
kidrockkenny
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just want to say way to go Verizon, not every internet provider can say they provided there customers with a 0.08th of  Mbps as their top internet speed. Check it out- http://i.imgur.com/UK0CgcT.png    Just so everything is clarified I had your  "technicians" check out the internet lines and everything checked out fine there, I have a brand new dlink router you have sent me and had it professionally set up and tested, and I have a wired e6 Ethernet cable as my connection to the router, and my signal strength to  my router is excellent with all bars. So would you guys kindly explain yourselves to why you are ripping off your customers who pay for 4 gbs and your not even giving them one?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Terrible internet service
kidrockkenny
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done more tests with the links provided but the test still came out horrible so I went to best buy and asked geek squads opinion and had them take a at my connection and we found that the problem is that Verizon only offers Very little megabytes in my area (located in PA). The test that were ran though were correct and I have done a little more research on other internet providers in the area. Apparently Atlantic Broadband has a pack were there is 70 gbs and is actually cheaper than what I pay for Verizon. I can not get fios in my area so that's out of the question. I have decided to make plans for a switch in providers soon after trying atlantics lower internet packages at a family members house with only 1gbs and am happy with the results. Thanks for the Posts though 🙂

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 4 gbs on DSL, not likely ever.

#2 4 gbs on FIOS, maybe but not one person (including my self) has ever heard of that.

#3 Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

#4 While we know the brand of your new router is a d-link:

a) What is the model of it?

b) What was the brand and model of the older router that you replaced with this d-link?

kidrockkenny
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have done more tests with the links provided but the test still came out horrible so I went to best buy and asked geek squads opinion and had them take a at my connection and we found that the problem is that Verizon only offers Very little megabytes in my area (located in PA). The test that were ran though were correct and I have done a little more research on other internet providers in the area. Apparently Atlantic Broadband has a pack were there is 70 gbs and is actually cheaper than what I pay for Verizon. I can not get fios in my area so that's out of the question. I have decided to make plans for a switch in providers soon after trying atlantics lower internet packages at a family members house with only 1gbs and am happy with the results. Thanks for the Posts though 🙂

ohnonothimagain
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had Verizons so-called "high speed" internet since Feb 2012, and it's by FAR the worst internet service I've ever had, bar none. I'm lucky to get 2+mps download speeds, and as I've posted in other posts-their technicians are great when they come out( 7-8-9+) times, and try very hard to re-work 40-50 year old copper wires and boots and connectors and such. My Netflix freezes and slogs down to just sitting there because of the issues between Netflix/Verizon, and that's frustrating too.   But the bigger issue is that Verizon as a company cares little that they cannot provide a consistent and reliable internet speed and consistent signal. I've BEGGED them to bring FIOS to my trailer park if only to not be forced to get Comcast service. I've heard every excuse in the book as to why FIOS isn't available in my area while it's available less than 1/4 mile away on a main road. They'd rather spend the money to keep sending service techs out and putting bandaids on a bleeding artery rather than just go ahead and put fiber optic cables in and be done with it. I never know if or when my landline will go out and cell phones don't work inside a metal tin can trailer. There's NOBODY who will PROMISE the speeds that they advertise, not even Comcast. And I have no other options in my area. I cannot get any satellite service as I live in a heavily wooded area-Comcast costs an arm and a leg and the other arm, and Veriizon just keeps saying, "We're sorry for your inconvenience" Sad... 

0 Likes