Transfering service
lazybean

I'm moving and want to transfer my DSL service.  Currently, I have Verizon phone and DSL, but I want to downgrade to just DSL, because I hardly ever use my landline.  It says that DSL is available at the new place (which is just across town). 

If I transfer my service to the new place, will DSL be activated immediately, or will there be a wait period?  I thought that the last time I moved, my phone was connected right away, but I had to wait about 2 weeks for the DSL.  My coworker, however, says that his DSL was activated on the same day as his phone service.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without having a lapse in internet service.  Should I transfer it over, or just order new service?  Does it even make a difference?  I don't need to transfer a phone number because I want to get rid of my landline anyway, and I don't care about keeping my Verizon email address, since I don't use it.  Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Transfering service
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't need to preserve anything about your current service (phone / email), personally I would just create a completely new service at your new location (and can probably even have it working BEFORE you move and terminate your old).    Why confuse the mess by trying to coordinate a transfer AND make a downgrade in service?

Might not need to be a "new" account (which could get you into some kind of "deposit" situation), just service at a "second" location.    Then once you move, just straight up cancel service at the old location.

My 2 cents.

0 Likes
lazybean

That's what I was thinking, too.  Could I move my wireless router with me, or would I have to get a new one?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

IDK ... but if it's new service, they might even send you a new one as part of the service order.   The bundles they usually offer have the router included provided you signup for a least a year or so.   As long as the router could be reprogrammed to do the DSL however they provision it at your new locaiton however, I wouldn't see why you couldn't take it with you provided you own it -- and aren't leasing it from them.

That does bring up an interesting point ... might be best if you order it as completely "new" and not associate it with the old account at all if you take that approach ... lest the "rebundle" you somehow and sign you up for a contract on the old stuff as well as the new location.  Don't want that.

Likewise ... also this assumes you don't presently have a contract obligation to complete at the "old" location.   If so, you'd get nailed with an early termination fee.  In that case, transferring is the only way to avoid that fee.

0 Likes
Nalinda1

0 Likes
Aleknit
Enthusiast - Level 2

you need a land line for the dsl.. so your stuck with a land line you'll never use..

0 Likes
pcnp04

I would like phone service at my new address.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hello pcnp04,

This community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.  Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes