Trying to increase download speeds with DSL - Multi-line modem available?
RHH2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in a rual area and don't have access to Fios.  I'm subscribed to the fastest DSL available in my area, which is 1-3 Mg service.  If I paid for an additional DSL line to my home, is there a way to combine them to effectively increase my download speeds?  A multi-line modem box of some type?

0 Likes
Re: Trying to increase download speeds with DSL - Multi-line modem available?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RHH wrote:

I'm in a rual area and don't have access to Fios.  I'm subscribed to the fastest DSL available in my area, which is 1-3 Mg service.  If I paid for an additional DSL line to my home, is there a way to combine them to effectively increase my download speeds?  A multi-line modem box of some type?

As far as I know, Verizon does not offer that.

Perhaps some other DSL provider does??

For example, go to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dslextreme and ask them if they offer that.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're technically savvy and have a server in a datacenter someplace, you can use VPN and a homebrew (Linux PC) router on your end to combine DSL Connections together. There's a video set made by Houkouonchi on YouTube on bonding two FiOS connections together into one big pipe which can get the ball rolling on this for you.

Verizon does not do ADSL bonding or other solutions like MLPPP, though. Maybe not unless you're ordering business services like eSHDSL. If you're looking for bonding you may want to see if there is an ADSL provider in your area capable of doing bonding. Fat chance this will happen, as in most cases the other provider will still be going through Verizon's equipment. Your best bet is to push Verizon to give you more than 3Mbps, and if they can't do that you'll likely want to see if a Cable company is around.

0 Likes
KevinP1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying the same thing at multiple locations today.

Verizon will put in the 2nd line but charge $150 for modem  $150 for install.

Will not bridge or support them.

AT&T

Was cheaper, no equipment or install fees.

Will support bridging and will even have the tech set it up for you for as many lines as youd like.

You also wont get Verizons crazy ETF or contract that they hit me with today.

Basically I got 7mbps package in 2011 and was out of contract. in August my connection degraded and kept going down. I had to switch to the 3mbps plan to get my internet back up. Now I need to switch and they are hitting me with $166 ETF for changing plans to get my service to work.

You should be able to get either since they can use each others phone copper

RHH2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info. Kevin.  I'll give them a call.  Pls let me know how you make out.  

0 Likes