Upgraded DSL service from 3.5mbps to 7.0mbps does not now work!
nukefixer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings,

I recently recieved a phone call from Verizon and they reported upgraded 7.0mbps service was now available to me in my area as I had 3.5mbps service.

I agreed to be upgraded as my monthly bill would actually decrease by 10$ a month based on the bundle of it.

As of midnight when the upgrade took place I have no DSL internet service at all, the DSL light continues to blink intermittently and when I called tech support they said they would have to contact the central office to repair whatever they did as there is something wrong on their end now?

I should never have agreed to the upgrade, the current service I had was rock steady and since last October 2010 I have not lost service ever, now I have none!

And now a repair ticket has been created with a committment date of over 2 days to repair the line?

This is unsatisfactory service in my opinion and I am not a pleased customer!

Re: Upgraded DSL service from 3.5mbps to 7.0mbps does not now work!
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry to hear about the problem. Here is what is going on. Yes your AREA can now offer 7.0 DSL speeds, but that does not mean your LINE can handle it. If your DSL light is blinking like that after this upgrade, then the line from your DSL modem to the center office is the issue. I assume no changes physically were made at your home!? If no changes at your house, then it is outside. The DSL jumper may have just been removed by mistake, your address is too far from the central office for that speed, or something on the line that was not seen or added can be causing the issue. Let them look into it first. If they can not fix it. They will let you know you can no have that speed and change you back.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The above poster pretty much mentioned what I was going to mention :). Can't give Kudos to him for some reason as the button doesn't want to work. Anyhow, that's pretty much the case. While ADSL is adaptive to the conditions of a line, sometimes if the Sync rate is set too high, it may attempt to sync at the highest possible rate every time. It might achieve this for a second or two, but then it would drop and begin the entire cycle again trying the same speed, instead of trying lower speed rates. I've seen it happen a few times when lines are simply too long or are experiencing noise spikes, preventing sync.

Then of course, there's the issue of someone at the CO removing provisioning on the line. That can happen. It isn't too common from what I know, but that is always a possibility as well. In some cases, there have been times where lines have been disconnected, and resulted in a person no longer being able to get DSL for whatever reason (no capacity left, tech error, etc).

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

That's right Smith6612. What happens is that there are so many jumpers in the CO for so many customers. If one address did qualify for service and disconnects. Those jumpers go to another customer. If all the jumpers are taking up, then the original address just lost the spot they had for DSL and now can not qualify for DSL.