Upgraded to HSI Enhanced- Still Slow Download and Video!
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I upgraded to 1.5 mbps two days ago, everything was activated but the issue still remains.

I've been having issues with my Internet speed for the last month. Prior to my speed issue, I was able to download pdf files, watch netflix online and youtube videos with no issue but now, I can't view anything or download without it taking a long time to load.

I've done the line tests, modem resets, tried a different modem/router, did cable/ethernet switch, scanned for viruses, did speed tests (which are always 0.10-0.30 mbps down) and have had a tech come out to test my line. I can get on the internet just fine and if I want to do basic surfing, it's fairly fast but I can't even watch a 20 second youtube video without it stopping and taking 3 minutes or more to load. 

My modem is a Westel 7500 and it has been connected to a Windows 2000 system and the other two computers are connected wirelessly with one being a Windows XP and the other being a Windows 7.

Here are my transreceiver stats:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1790447
Margin (dB)31.129.3
Line Attenuation (dB)23.08.1
Transmit Power (dBm)6.612.3

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgraded to HSI Enhanced- Still Slow Download and Video!
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If you are having poor internet issues, its not due to your internet connection. If you look at your DSL speed, you're actually getting higher than you are supposed to. You are getting 1790 kbps which equals 1.790 mbps . The information is coming to your computer faster than it should, but your computer is fumbling with the data given to it. Best general advice I could give is to delete your temp internet files and other cache. If you are still experiencing problem, your going to need further computer troubleshooting help from someone with that type of knowledge. I wish you the best of luck tracking it down.

0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3
The issue is not with my computer(s), as expected. Another Verizon tech came out yesterday and he confirmed this. It is not a computer issue or a modem issue but an issue with the "central office's equipment". He said that he was going to send in a ticket asap after his visit yesterday and I should have had this issue resolved by last night but I still have the same issues: 0.10-0.30 mbps download and 0.38 mbps upload. He saw how insanely slow the Internet was even on a brand new laptop that I have which he connected and tested a new modem with. So I'm basically paying extra money for dial up speeds yet the company wants to blame the customer when it has been established by countless technicians that it is not my fault. What can be done about this?
0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3
Broadband Speed Test Analysis information: Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done SendBufferSize set to [8192] running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 369.08Kb/s running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 78.05kb/s ------ Client System Details ------ OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1 Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_24 ------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------ Client Receive Window detected at 17408 bytes. Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found. Link set to Full Duplex mode Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic. Good network cable(s) found Normal duplex operation found. Web100 reports the Round trip time = 61.82 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and There were 55 packets retransmitted, 95 duplicate acks received, and 111 SACK blocks received The connection stalled 7 times due to packet loss The connection was idle 1.7 seconds (5.0%) of the time This connection is receiver limited 27.18% of the time. This connection is network limited 72.6% of the time. Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address Server says [xxx.xx.xx.xx] but Client says [xxx.xx.x.xx] *I edited IP addresses*
0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can anyone help me?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Now if the connection speeds are .1-.3, then yes that is a Verizon slowdown. The reason I had said that it was an issue with the computer or browser is because you were saying the service was slow, but you were getting almost 2mbps speeds. Please let us know they outcome of your research ticket.

0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

What research ticket? If you're referring to the ticket that the technician was suppose to send out this past Monday, nothing came of it since I'm still getting the same slow speed. Now, it's difficult to even load websites like verizon or even yahoo.

Here's another Verizon speed test that I just did:
Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 338.88Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 64.53kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_29

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 17408 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 76.35 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 58 packets retransmitted, 93 duplicate acks received, and 111 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 10 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 2.97 seconds (8.73%) of the time
This connection is network limited 98.36% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1790445
Margin (dB)34.328.0
Line Attenuation (dB)22.58.1
Transmit Power (dBm)20.012.4
0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I want to check the outcome of that research ticket. I have sent you a private message to get more information from you.

0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent it and as my connection is getting even slower. 0.08 download

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hate to say it, but what is Verizon doing setting your line to 1.5Mbps? If you fall under their new provisioning structure you should be running at 7-10Mbps down, 768kbps-1Mbps up. Granted you should be getting better performance out of a 1.5Mbps line, but this is one thing that should be addressed. With those statistics 1.5Mbps is unacceptable, along with 3Mbps.

The NDT test you've run seems to be suggesting a network-side problem that is causing slow speeds and packet loss. It's hard to say for sure if the problem is on Verizon's end since the results you get can be influenced by a bunch of other factors. If Anthony is unable to help you solve the issue, I can get you to someone who can see what the deal is and get it fixed. Just let me know.