VZ Firewall blocking access to World of Warcraft. Please help!
TCBush
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I recently downloaded World of Warcraft for my teenage son on our laptop. We have verizon DSL internet through our phone line and we have the little tab things attached to the line to filter data and phone. Running Windows XP on an HP laptop, and using our network i keep getting an error that says "Launcher cannot obtain patching information. Please check internet configuration." This is only when I use our WEP encoded network. When i connect thru an open network it connections immediately with no issues. I have contacted WoW and they say to add ports for acceptability which I have done. They also suggested taking down the whole firewall to see if that would work. Neither of this works at all. I have been told now by WoW that this is an issue with my ISP and to contact them. Verizon has just passed me from person to person regarding this and no one has an answering . If anyone has had a similitar issue and can direct me I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Re: VZ Firewall blocking access to World of Warcraft. Please help!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the provided modem by any chance have it's Firewall enabled? Those firewalls tend to be rather restrictive even on the lowest setting, and can break stuff such as the World of Warcraft updater. Double check to make sure that this isn't the case. I'm assuming you know how to do this, as you've forwarded ports though if you need help with that, let us know what modem/router you're using.

Other than that, the only other point that would be affecting the updater would be a software firewall's program control. I know you probably disabled that as well, but it's worth double checking to make sure that isn't blocking anything related to World of Warcraft/Blizzard Software. Some security suites can be a pain to deal with in this aspect.

Other than that, if you can't get the patching to work automatically, try updating the game manually via Blizzard's FTP site or via game file sites such as FileFront.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

get the ports you have to unblock from Blizzard, and then Download the simple port forwarding tool to open the ports. 

Port forwarding may or may not be your problem, as suggested it may also be windows firewall or a software firewall on your machine too. 

Alsarion
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same issue, Verizon's tech support is terrible and gave me a run around for the better part of my afternoon.  Disabling my WEP encryption resolved the issue