VZ sent new D-LINK 2750 B router to resolve one problem, now that router constantly drops connection
VZinVA

Over the past several months, our DSL seemed to get slower and slower.  It got to be so bad that I could no longer even watch a program on Netflix...everything would stop and buffer.  It was really that bad.  I got tired of it one night and called VZ, and they spent almost an hour on the phone with me and decided that the router was the issue - they thought that it was just old (5 years) and no longer doing the job.  So they sent me a new one - a D-Link 2750B.  I hooked up the new router, and initially had no issues.  The speed did actually seem to be fine now - no more buffering - yay!! 

About a week after, suddenly the connection simply dropped.  I fiddled with it, restarted the modem, and got it working again.  2 days later - it happened again.  This went on for a week, and I once again got on the phone with VZ, and explained to them that this was a new issue - I had no problems with the buffering now, but the darn router kept dropping the connection.  They had me try all sorts of things, and eventually we got the wireless connection running, but the wired connection (which is my preference on my desktop) was just really finicky.  They insisted that it was a problem with my desktop computer, since they now had the wireless working, and that was that.  I did some googling, and learned a bit more about resetting and turning connections on and off, and I have been able to get the connection back after fiddling, every time.  But this is really annoying, and it should NOT be happening.  I never had issues with the router dropping the connection before (with the old router), and I am using the same desktop computer.  NOTHING is different, except for the router.  So what do I do?   Can I call VZ and tell them this router is a piece of crap?  WIll they do anything else?  Just seems like once they get it back up (which I can do, after some fiddling) they say, oh okay - you are good now.  Well I am NOT.  I should not be having to poke and prod just to get my network connection to work. It's ridiculous.

0 Likes
Re: VZ sent new D-LINK 2750 B router to resolve one problem, now that router constantly drops connec
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your non D-Dlink modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your non D-Dlink modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

[EDIT] #1 When you look for the transceiver Statistics, this text gives to you an idea of what to look for:

Line Mode, Data Path:, transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path, DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec), Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dBm).

#2 As where the transceiver Statistics are located in the DLink 2750:

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink modem, so we'll need Verizon to grab the stats from the DSLAM, and while they're at it, check the logs on their end to see if the line is dropping out physucally, or is dropping out on another sense.

0 Likes