Verizon DSL & wireless?
Missdawn411

I still have Verizon DSL wired modem Westell 2200.

We have just purchased a Droid 3 & an iPhone here.

People tell me that I should get a home wireless router for our smartphones & it won't use any of my 2GB of montly usage & better battery life.

What fees/monthly fees if any would it be to get a home wireless router just to use for my smartphones. Eventually would get a laptop also.

And how easy is the set-up?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon DSL & Smartphone
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 If you have a wired only router, what is the brand and model of it?

0 Likes
Missdawn411

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 If you have a wired only router, what is the brand and model of it?

I have a wired modem Westell 2200.... ancient huh?

0 Likes
Missdawn411

not as if verizon would send me an updated modem free in the 10 years I've had this one right?

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Well, I won't speak for verizon, but you can get a wireless router from BestBuy, WalMart, Microcenter or on line.

There is no extra fee from verizon to use it.

If you are only using one computer connected directly to the Westell, it is doing both the DSL interface and routing.  With a separate router, you will need to reconfigure the Westell into Bridging mode and disable DHCP.  Take a look at this to get an idea what I'm talking about.

http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Bridging_Westell_2200_DSL_Modem

Connect the LAN side of the Westell (which used to go to the computer) to the WAN port on the new router.

With regards to your new router, you will need to set up DHCP (usually just turn it on) and give it the information for logging onto the Verizon network (PPPoE information with login name and password).

Then go to the wireless configuration and set up security. WPA2 is better. Use a Passphrase that you can remember.  Then go to your iPhone or whatever look for the new network under its Network configuration.  Enter the Passphrase and presto!

0 Likes
Missdawn411

@weedeater wrote:

Well, I won't speak for verizon, but you can get a wireless router from BestBuy, WalMart, Microcenter or on line.

There is no extra fee from verizon to use it.

If you are only using one computer connected directly to the Westell, it is doing both the DSL interface and routing.  With a separate router, you will need to reconfigure the Westell into Bridging mode and disable DHCP.  Take a look at this to get an idea what I'm talking about.

http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/Bridging_Westell_2200_DSL_Modem

Connect the LAN side of the Westell (which used to go to the computer) to the WAN port on the new router.

With regards to your new router, you will need to set up DHCP (usually just turn it on) and give it the information for logging onto the Verizon network (PPPoE information with login name and password).

Then go to the wireless configuration and set up security. WPA2 is better. Use a Passphrase that you can remember.  Then go to your iPhone or whatever look for the new network under its Network configuration.  Enter the Passphrase and presto!

Why would I not order the one Verizon has to offer?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's old, but still good for speeds up to the 7Mbps rates. If you're seeing the full speeds, there isn't a need to replace it. Just attach a router, bridge the Westell 2200, set up the router, and off you go 🙂

0 Likes