Verizon Turbo: 1.2Mbps or RR High Speed: 14.8Mbps hmmmm...
method13

Bottom line: Time Warner Road Runner High Speed really does give you (almost) 15Mbps!  And for less than Verizon's Turbo!  Wow -- an internet service that actually does what it promises.  Or pretty darn close.

I am in the LA area. I had Verizon Turbo promising up to 7.0Mbps download.  I never broke 1.2Mbps in two months.  I called Time Warner last night, picked up my modem on the way home from work and plugged it all in and set up my wireless router.  I've got a laptop, xbox and printer running thru the router and I've been getting 14.2 - 14.8Mbps for the last three hours!!

I tried Verizon Turbo and paid plenty for it because it advertised download speeds up to 7Mbps.  I tested my speed several times a week from mid-February until April 19th.  The fastest speed I ever recorded was a download of 1.2Mbps and the average was just under 1.0Mbps during that time.  I also had phone problems.  I also had a heck of a time getting my modem and telephone filters in the first place.  It took three shipments and 10 days on the phone with Verizon every day. I tried on several occasions to get tech help on the speed, but they never could do anything that would help.

On my bill, I was charged for a gaming service I didn't order and wouldn't even know how to use ($20.98).  I was also charged extra for the shipping three times although it was Verizon who screwed up the shipping in the first place ($19.99 each).  I was also charged $69.99 for the modem even though I was told it was no charge on a promotion when I first signed up.

Two different Verizon reps told me at different times that I would be credited for the gaming and shipping and modem.  After an hour on the phone with billing because nothing was ever removed from my bill, a billing rep told me that the only thing she would take off was the gaming service!!  The phone call took forever because she interrupted EVERY sentence that I started.

I got off the phone and called Time Warner.  It took about 10 minutes to order Road Runner High Speed.  It was slightly cheaper ($3) and the guy assured me that people really did get between 12 -15 Mbps downloads on a regular basis.   He said I could pick up my self-installation modem at any Time Warner store. 

I picked it up today at a Santa Ana store.  They were really nice and helpful.   I took it home and as I said previously, plugged it all in and it just worked!  It took maybe 15 minutes only because I had to unscrew some cables and use a splitter and set up my router. 

Amazing amazing amazing!!

Ironically, when I called Verizon tonight to cancel everything, their system was down!  They said that all they could do was to put in a call back order and someone would call me in the next 24-48 hours about canceling.  Wow -- a clear sign I did the right thing in switching to a different ISP and phone provider. 

0 Likes