Verizon internet security suite SNAFU
akay47

This is ridiculous, I have been trying to reinstall my VISS for two days straight.  the program started not responding and turning off my real time scanning, so i used virtual technician and was unable to repair it, so I deleted and reinstalled it for two days straight!!!  I go through the install process it says it was installed successfully, however, the icon does not show up on the taskbar, and the program is not showing up when I look on my installed programs on my drive.   I once again utilized the virtual tech and the response has been over and over that Verizon Internet Security Suite version 11.5 needs to be updated.  I click the link to update it,and nothing happens.  I cannot find a link anywhere on the nonuser friendly Verizon website.. (never can find anything anymore ) and am about ready to switch to the cable company for phone/internet service.  I am certain things would be simpler and less frustrating.  Interesting note, is that I was able to install the online backup service with no problem and family protection with no problem..  but I have no protection from anything else!!!!!!  If I get a virus on my computer because this program is glitching I WILL call the cable company

0 Likes
Re: Verizon internet security suite SNAFU
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Remove the Verizon Internet Security Suite and run this program after you reboot: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

This should clean everyting up for you. Also, before re-installing, run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to ensure you are not seeing issues with Malware that happens to be disabling VISS.

http://malwarebytes.org/ (Be sure to OPT-OUT of any free trial of Malwarebytes Pro OR for any toolbars offered by CNet. This IS free software).

If you can't get VISS installed, it's not reason to switch ISPs honestly. You can dumb down your Verizon bill/services and use many of the free and fast Anti-virus programs out there. Avast!, AVG, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, and Panda Cloud Antivirus are all good choices, with Avast! being my favorite.

Also be aware, even if the VISS icon doesn't show, it could simply be hidden. You should check your Start Menu > All Programs menu for VISS and try to launch it from there.

0 Likes
ExasperatedMan

I have had Verizon Internet Security Suite since at least 2012.   It is provided by McAfee.   They download virus signatures in the background, which seems OK since those are passive.   But they also download revised software surreptitiously (in the background, without giving the customer a chance to delay the download until McAfee has tested the software.   Several times, McAfee's updated software has screwed up my computer (XP PRO).   Once I spent 3 or 4 hours on the telephone with an agent in Mexico who took control of my computer to fix the mess that McAfee had made.  

On 12/21/2013, they downloaded another faulty revision onto my computer without my knowledge.   I have spoken with many Verizon agents and at least one McAfee agent this time and I got McAfee to send me an Email message with instructions for uninstalling the 12/21 VISS and "Family Protection", but I needed a Verizon password.   Verizon makes it extremely hard to learn your password (which of course I had forgotten) or to set a new one.   One of their sites asked for my telephone no. and E-mail address (both Verizon), but Verizon replied that they were wrong.   My telephone service provider does not know my correct telephone number!

The McAfee message came from "kb@mcafee.com".   I sent a reply to that address asking for a better explanation than what was in their message, but I have not received a reply or a "not received" message.

Verizon does not have any E-mail address for tech support; they just have addresses for their advertising sites.   That is ultra lousy.

After several days, a McAfee window said they had downloaded ANOTHER version.   But it has the same fault that the 12/21 version had:  it displays a window saying that my computer is at risk because I have real-time scanning turned off.   Every time I click to turn it ON I get a message saying that it is OFF.   That leaves me with little motivation for uninstalling the whole Internet Security System -- I might end up with no antivirus protection at all.

I sent a 2-page complaint to the FCC about this.   You use their Form 2000B; try https://esupport.fcc.gov/ complaints.htm?sid=d1e571&id=d1e617 or thereabouts.    (Or you can Google for "FCC", "complaints", Internet", etc.)   I recommend that every victim do the same.   I also sent a complaint to Verizon at POB 11328, St. Petersburg, FL 33733.    Maybe the FCC will respond to me after a month or two.   But THEY NEED TO SEE MORE COMPLAINTS; there must be hundreds of thousands of victims of buggy software from Verizon and McAfee.

When Mozilla has a new version of Firefox, it displays a message giving the user an option to install it immediately or to wait.   Adobe does the same when they develop a new version of Flash Player.    Verizon ought to do the same with McAfee's junk.   If you wait a week or two, maybe they will have fixed the bugs.   They do not have a right to download executable software onto anyone's computer surreptitiously.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anti-virus software isn't handled by the FCC for complaints. They likely won't do much to help you, sadly. 

I can't say much for the broken update, but you can try re-installing the software after removing VISS cleanly and using the McAfee Consumer Software Removal tool to remove remininants of the software.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

0 Likes