Verizon's new regulation: $100 deposit requirement when signing up their service
richard721
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just read the post from this link: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Filing-a-complaint-against-Verizon/td-...  and I completely understand how pixiestyx had been going through because what happened to him when communicating with Verizon just happened to me exactly the same way.  

I called Verizon to request internet service because I saw a FIOS ad on their web site and when I entered my ZIP Code to check availability, a message came out: it asked me to call a Verizon number to receive a promotional offer.  When I called them, I was told that FIOS was not available in my address so I was suggested to sign up for HSI service which has to be bundled into so called "Verizon Freedom Essentials".  I was looking for internet service only, but the agent told me that was not possible because it had to be provided with phone service.  I decided to sign up anyway because I used Verizon internet service several years ago and the it appeared to be stable back then.  (I could choose only internet service at that time)  I was told to pay a $100 security deposit because she said she couldn't run a credit check.  I agreed because although they had never asked me to pay that kind of deposit to start previous services, they were running a large & secured company after all.

After the service had been set up, my internet speed was terribly slow, even slower than 3-7mbps, the speed they claimed to be providing to me when I signed up.  I called tech support and a tech came to my apt.  He ran a test and determined that the problem was from the line between the box on the roof and their central office although he doubted it might arise from the splitter for phone & internet.  He changed the line later that day but speed remained the same, only about 2.6 mbps. Because his doubt, I changed a splitter but speed still didn't change.  Only when I disconnect the phone entirely, the speed became about 3.5 mbps. (Verizon says that's about the fastest they could provide in my area because it's too far from their central office).  Even worse, sometimes the internet connection gets dropped for hours for no reasons.  Finally I decided to cancel the service with Verizon.  I called them one week ahead to request termination of service on whatever day they had billed me till, expecting to make it even and not to receive any more bills from them.  They said it had been arranged.  The service would be terminated at midnight of 15th.  But it turned out they terminated the service one day earlier without any notification.  

Yesterday I just received another bill from them:  they charged me one more month of internet service even though the service was terminated before last billing cycle ended.  Contacting them could not help me resolving the issue.  They just bounced the call with each other, with one answer denied by another.  Even though the bill stated that I would receive another final bill in one month with credit and adjustment, I just could not understand why they have to do it this hard way.

The way Verizon's doing business "Charge customer first and promise to refund later with scheduled service that they could not keep up with" really disappointed me.  I've totally lost my good impression on this company.  Until now I've still been trying to find out how and when I can get my $100 security deposit back, a security only belongs to Verizon itself.

Re: Verizon's new regulation: $100 deposit requirement when signing up their service
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please visit our Support page for a variety of ways to contact Verizon, including “Ask Verizon,” our virtual chat agent, and customer support phone numbers.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon's new regulation: $100 deposit requirement when signing up their service
richard721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of course I've spoken to many representatives already.  One of them told me I could've got my $100 deposit back by today, and today he called me to appologize for wrong information.  He said Verizon would issue a check to me instead  of giving refund to the same credit card charged last time.  But it'll be after this entire billing cycle that I'm not using service at all.  It's just nonsense since I've already paid all the bills, even for internet service till next month.  Why are they still holding the deposit after I have disconnected the serivice?  When I signed up for the service, I was told that you would refund me right after the service is discontinued.  Right now Verizon owes me some overcharges yet they are still holding this so called security deposit $100.

richard721
Enthusiast - Level 2

And with Verizon's "good credit" on other users with this overcharged "security deposit" refund issue, who can trust that they will keep their promise consciously next month ?  No one in the billing or financial department seems to be responsible for this issue.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board. you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello,
We hadn't heard from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,

0 Likes
MOHAMED-1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The best thing you can do is to cancel your service, Verizon is a greedy company and they only care about money, I have an issue with them before and after going throught hours in the phone speeking to deferent employee telling me deferent story and many lie finaly i fix my issue and i get my money back but i decide to cancel my service soon because i can`t trust them any more.

0 Likes
kwiggens

I know for wireless service that a deposit is generally required for those with bad credit or no credit.  There is actually a calculator to estimate your verizon deposit which is for Verizon Wireless, not sure if it would be the same for FIOS.  

0 Likes