Very Slow DSL in evening hours in Eastern PA
djutmose
Enthusiast - Level 2

We recently upgraded to an enhanced DSL plan with up to 15mbpd download, and we do get near that speed  at some times BUT recently from about 6-12 in the evening speed drops, at its worst only 1-2 mbps. After midnight speeds rapidly rise. I tried rebooting the modem numerous times, shutting off one and then the other PC on the network ... no effect. Always super slow in the evenings. I am thinking maybe they switched us to an overloaded circuit or something? I haven't called verizon yet but frankly I am afraid of getting the run-around and having them blame our PCs or something. Again, the speed is great so long as it's not the evening hours. Anyone have any luck getting Verizon to address this?

Funny thing is, until recently I was on a plan with a max. of 7mbps and I almost always got that speed. Now my speed in the evenings when we'd like to watch Netflix and otherwise use some bandwith is pathetic ...

BTW I have the Westell 7500 modem if that matters ...

thanks for any tips

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow DSL in evening hours in Eastern PA
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from the Westell? Visit http://192.168.1.1/for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

djutmose
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!! Ok here goes....hopefully this helps... was getting 14-15mbps this morning and now down to 1.5 mbps again...

1  gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4)  1 ms  0 ms  0 ms

2  xe-2-3-0.er1.iad10.us.above.net (209.66.64.189)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms

3  xe-0-0-0.er2.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.26.234)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms

4  above-uu.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.13.174)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms

5  0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.142)  2 ms  4 ms  2 ms

6  130.81.199.19 (130.81.199.19)  9 ms  9 ms  8 ms

7  G2-0.PHLAPA-FTWSPAFW-ERXG06.verizon-gni.net (130.81.193.193)  9 ms  9 ms  9 ms

8  * * *

9  * * *

10  * * *

Max number of unresponsive hops reached  (firewall or filter?)

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)176471038
Margin (dB)8.49.8
Line Attenuation (dB)21.56.4
Transmit Power (dBm)19.4

thank you!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, I see you're on a Juniper and also have the 15Mbps package, which like you've stated seems to be coming in without an issue despite the somewhat low margins. Lately, Verizon has been having issues once again with overloading their edge routers in a bunch of area. Since you're on the 15Mbps package, you're ultimately stuck on the Juniper routers, as Verizon, except in very specific circumstances, does not put 10-15Mbps profiles on the Redback routers. The Juniper ERX routers are faster routers over the Redbacks, hence the requirement of a Juniper, but for whatever reason Verizon has been having an issue with those being overloaded over the Redbacks. There's usually a handful of other Junipers that can be tapped into in order to solve this problem, so I'll send you a PM to someone who can take care of you.

djutmose
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well the person to whom Smith6612 referred me tried really hard to help me, but he said as far as he can tell I'm on one of the newest Juniper routers and there's no better one to switch me to. I am grateful for the help and personal attention, a little dissapointed there is no quick fix but maybe someone else from Verizon can help?

Again today my fiancee checked speedtest.net at noon and we had about 14.5 mpbs (which is blazing fast and great and the kind of speed I always dreamed of), but now (8 PM) it's 1/10th that.

The only other clue I have is that about a month ago my top speed went from about 10mpbs to 15mpbs, which at first was great, but it's then that the extreme slowdowns at peak times started. (We upgraded about 2 months ago from our old 7 mbps plan. First month seemed to cap out consisently at 10mpbs with little slowdown. Second month we suddenly were getting 15mpbs at off-peak times, but extreme slowdown to 1.5--2 mbps in evening hours ----which is what I am showing right now, just ran speedtest,net and have 1.64 mbps).

I don't know if extremely localized congestion could somehow be the culprit? I live in a very small apartment bldg. with only 3 other units occupied right now, could something else in the building be splitting the bandwith?

I am across the street from my local Verizon office so always got the highest speeds available, but only recently have I gotten any slowdowns. I would not complain about a little slowness but 1.5 mpbs is too slow for accessing my work PC over the net, streaming video, and other things that I would like to do:(

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you're on Wireless or have others tying up your DSL line, you wouldn't be having any issues with others in your apartment slowing you down. It's a dedicated circuit to the CO/RT (in this case, CO), at which point your traffic will start to converge with others. My contact would have noticed a problem in the CO if it was extremely localized. Seems to be something farther upstream now, so I guess we need to take a look at the Junipers to see what is going on with them. You could be moved to other routers but then there's the issue of which one will work the best.

djutmose
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I tried shutting off wi-fi altogether to see if someone was leeching off our router but that didn't change anything or speed anything up. But good to know it's not something here. My fiancee was convinced it was a certain one of our neighbors who was using all of our bandwith, but he's out of town and it's still slow at night anyway;)

0 Likes
paulinejordan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here, when I am home and want to stream a show, forget it, now my sons stay up all night long, because speed gets better in the wee hours. I think this is clearly Verizon problem ,but we have called and complained for over a year, upgraded, but still same problem internet worthless for anything more than email in the evenings. I am dumping Verizon, giving comcast a try, if they do not work I am dumping them all and simply will read and listen to the radio, I am tired of paying for things I do not receive!!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@paulinejordan wrote:

Same here, when I am home and want to stream a show, forget it, now my sons stay up all night long, because speed gets better in the wee hours. I think this is clearly Verizon problem ,but we have called and complained for over a year, upgraded, but still same problem internet worthless for anything more than email in the evenings. I am dumping Verizon, giving comcast a try, if they do not work I am dumping them all and simply will read and listen to the radio, I am tired of paying for things I do not receive!!!

I could also suggest looking into a DSL Reseller who co-locates equipment in the Verizon CO. DSLExtreme, for example tends to do this. You could probably get around the slow speeds issue by going with a reseller who may or may not run through different gear and routes.

WIth Comcast, if DOCSIS 3.0 is available, DOCSIS 3.0 modems will help to keep slow speed issues at bay that typically occurred with Cable modem service in area in the past.

0 Likes