Very Slow Download/Upload Speed
Chaos1232

I have the Turbo service (5MBps - 7.1MBps). I check speedtest and 192.168.1.1 and they tell me : Speed (Down/Up):  5883 Kbits/sec by 863 Kbits/sec, which is fine with me. The problem is though, my download speeds are never above 600 Kbits/sec. I plugged my phone line directly into my Verizon box outside and get the same speed. What could be the problem?

Some Info :

I tested this on three computures (Two with Windows 7 and one with Vista). I am also using a Westell 6100 modem.

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow Download/Upload Speed
stoneyjonez

I have a similar situation since about a week ago. We have the 3Mbps/768Kbps DSL, and usually any speed test I run will show around that rate. Lately the download rate stays between 500Kbps-900Kbps, although the upload speed is around 700K as it should be.... The same thing happens with multiple devices, even if connected directly to the modem. I've even gone as far as replacing the phone and ethernet cables, but still no luck. After trying that, I then reset the modem every different way imaginable, but of course this made no difference.... I called tech support 2 times, and nobody I talk to seems knows anything about network troubleshooting whatsoever. The first guy hung up on me once he realized he couldn't BS me saying my computer has viruses, and the second guy put in a ticket for slowness issues, and it is closed already with no resolution or response. He also said he would call back and never did. This is just completely unacceptable. I have come here to see if there is anything else that can be done. Verizon doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for the fact that there is actually something wrong with either this modem or the service itself, so this is the last stop before going to the BBB and possibly cancelling service. I mean seriously, what do I have to do to have somebody actually come and check out what is going on here?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chaos1232 wrote:

I check speedtest and 192.168.1.1 and they tell me : Speed (Down/Up):  5883 Kbits/sec by 863 Kbits/sec.

Who/what told you that?

For example, the router at 192.168.1.1

@Chaos1232 wrote:

my download speeds are never above 600 Kbits/sec.

Who/what told you that? For example, speedtest.

#3 Which Westell 6100 firmware are you on? For example, The white and blue OR the red and black.

#4 Is wireless in this modem combo (Westell 6100), on?

#5 If wireless in this modem combo is on, what level of wireless security is the router set to? For example, WEP OR WPA.

#6 The Default Gateway on all three computers is 192.168.1.1?

To check this on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

This is, as noted at http://oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/ipconfig

For Windows Vista OR Windows 7, I believe like the way at http://oit.ncsu.edu/resnet/vista

^^

0 Likes
Chaos1232

#1 What do you mean who told me that? Speedtest and the website for the proline dsl modem tell me that that is my speed.

#2 Speedtest tells me that my down/up speed should be 5MBps/500KBps. I try downloading various things online and I never reach speeds above 600KBps.

#3 Red and black.

#4 Modem combo? I've connected it to my router.

#5 WEP.

#6 Default gateway is 192.168.2.1

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chaos1232 wrote:

#4 Modem combo? I've connected it to my router.

#5 WEP.

#6 Default gateway is 192.168.2.1

Since the default gateway is 192.168.2.1 and the LAN IP of the Westell is 192.168.1.1, what is the brand and model of your router?

@Chaos1232 wrote:

#2 Speedtest tells me that my down/up speed should be 5MBps/500KBps. I try downloading various things online and I never reach speeds above 600KBps.

How did you try to download various things?

For example, using uTorrent

0 Likes
Jayf1

My download/upload speeds are now under 20 mbps, even after paying an additional fee over a year back for 50/50. They want me to call in but I do not have the time or patience to talk to someone over the phone. When my service agreement ends in November, I am seriously considering changing to another provider.

Even the online support makes it impossible to get support for this condition. It seems they run you around to avoid giving good service.

Anyone have this problem and find a solution without having to hold a phone to an injured neck?

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes