Very slow DOWNLOAD speeds compared to other household computers?
Garneth
I am connecting via Wireless. All other computers are connecting via wireless aswell. The same router is used for all computers. On all the other computers in the house, download speeds are up to 3 Mbps. On my computer, download speeds are up to 20-50 Kbps. I don't understand why. My download speed used to be 1 Mbps, and that changed about a month ago. I don't understand why. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
0 Likes
Re: Very slow DOWNLOAD speeds compared to other household computers?
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there anything else besides Wireless that could add to the potential list of problem causing issues? What makes the PC that is experiencing the issues different from the rest? Does this machine run different software for security or different configurations? Does it use a different operating system or Wireless card from the rest?

0 Likes
Reepime
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would have to disagree with ornahp.  Being a computer technician myself, it seems more likely that the computer experiencing the issue is configured differently (as Smith6612 indicated).

There could be several reasons why 1 computer experiences different download speeds compared to another.  Without knowing the specs, programs, and physical location of each computer and what is between the computers and router, there is no real way to give a difinitive answer/solution.

Also, how are you testing/monitoring your download speeds?  Are you downloading items from a website, downloading items through a torrent/magnet, using a speed test site?

Your computer could be infected with malicious software (virus, spyware, etc)

Your computer could have multiple "Auto-Update" programs running (Microsoft Updates, Adobe Updates, etc)

Your computer might be connecting using older technology (not likely, but possible) 802.11b compared to 802.11g

The times that you are download might be during higher traffic times causing more load on verizon's network, decreasing your speed.

Other computers on your network may be using bandwidth shrinking the access that you have.

These are only a few things that can affect download speeds.