Westell 327W ARP's repeatedly
wings515
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used Wireshark to look at the activity of the router for a Security Camera problem.  But that is another question.  I noticed repeated ARP's about once a second starting at 192.168.1.1 and going through to 192.168.1.255.  Of course at the addresses of the devices on my network there was a skip in the sequence.

My question is, how do you reduce the update time of the ARP cache?  The current rate seems way to often for a three device network.

I'll post my other question on the camera after reviewing the entry already posted.

Regards,

wings515

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 327W ARP's repeatedly
wings515
Enthusiast - Level 3

After doing some digging on the web about Westell routers, the latest firmware has provided the undocumented feature of performing an ARP every second starting at 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255 and repeating.  When observing the time difference between the ARP's using Wireshark, it is in the microsecond region.  This will probably not have a high impact on the overall performance of the router.  It just seems like a waste of bandwidth.

I'll close this message and post it as Solved.

Regards,

Wings515

View solution in original post

Re: Westell 327W ARP's repeatedly
wings515
Enthusiast - Level 3

After doing some digging on the web about Westell routers, the latest firmware has provided the undocumented feature of performing an ARP every second starting at 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255 and repeating.  When observing the time difference between the ARP's using Wireshark, it is in the microsecond region.  This will probably not have a high impact on the overall performance of the router.  It just seems like a waste of bandwidth.

I'll close this message and post it as Solved.

Regards,

Wings515