Westell 6100G and Linksys WRT54G
mechanics200
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have set the Westell modem to Bridge and used the setup cd to configure the Linksys router.  The DSL and DATA only lights are on the modem and for the router internet light is on.  There is no internet access available.  Looking at the Internet Connection page for the router shows login status as Disconnected.  Clicking on Connect displays the message "PPPoE ahthorization failed".  Since there were no entries for IP address and DNS servers under the Status tab I restarted the router with no change.  Also restqrted the modem with the same results.  ANy suggestions will be appreciated.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 6100G and Linksys WRT54G
mechanics200
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem has been solved.  After an additional 2  hours with a tech in India we were successful in receiving the forgotten user and pasword needed to input the router software.  The Verizon support is terrible in that a simple request was not easily compleed by the tech.  He insisted in trying all sorts of different tactics including using the safe mode on the desktop.  He was repeatedly advised that the modem in the router/modem configutation worked fine and that only the user and password were needed to input to the router.  He even advised that the computer wiring was at fault and to only run it in safe mode.  Finally received the needed info and now the router and bridged modem are performing fine.  Remember this all started when Verizon did something to the DSL account shuttong off service. Neither of the 6100G modems would work.  Finally after about a week the modems worked with no change at our end.  Verizon tech support has suffered badly with moving to offshore sites.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The router logs into the Verizon network on your behalf.  This message indicates that the login failed.  Have you supplied it with the login name and password for your Verizon account? Until it logs in successfully, you will not see any IP address or DNS information in the router.

0 Likes
mechanics200
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem is with a friends computer whom I think may have provided an incorrect user and password which would confirm the lack of connection as you stated.  Since he can connect to the internet using the Westell 6100g when not in the bridge mode I had assumed the user and password were correct.  Time to check with Verizon. Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The user name and password exist in the Westell, but it must be transferred to the Linksys.

0 Likes
mechanics200
Enthusiast - Level 3

A little background is in order.  My friend received the 6100G modem about three weeks ago as a result of receiving a faster speed 9approx 5mbps) and a change of cost for Freedom Essentials.  We followed the setup instructions and also configured the WRT54G router and everything worked fine.  About 10 daus ago he lost the internet during the day.  He called Verizon and had a tech from India go through many attempts to correct even using safe mode with networking.  Nothing worked.  I used a laptop and same results even when connected directly to the modem.  A few days back he received a replacement modem and it also did not work.  The next day I again hooked my laptop to the modem and had an internet connection having done nothing in the interim.  Connected his desktop and also had internet connection.  Connected the original 6100 and this also now worked.  I then set his modem to bridge and connected the WRT54G router and would now receive the PPPoE authorization failure.  We had not yet changed any of the user or passwords for either device until everything would work.  It was my understanding that he needed to have the original verizon user and password from when he set up the accounts about eight years ago to get past the PPPoE authentication.  He spent two hours on the phone again with India without any success.  I have the same setup with Verizon but never lost my original emails from Verizon with the correct info.  There appears to be no way to simply contact Verizon and request a simple user and password after verifying who he is.  So current status is he has internet via a direct connect to the modem but will receive the PPPoE failure with the router.  Anyone have a phone number to actually connect with a US base tech who can provide the info he needs.  My reason for attempting to help is that he is a tax accountant and until tax deadline is here is working 12 hours a day and has little time.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions. 

0 Likes
mechanics200
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem has been solved.  After an additional 2  hours with a tech in India we were successful in receiving the forgotten user and pasword needed to input the router software.  The Verizon support is terrible in that a simple request was not easily compleed by the tech.  He insisted in trying all sorts of different tactics including using the safe mode on the desktop.  He was repeatedly advised that the modem in the router/modem configutation worked fine and that only the user and password were needed to input to the router.  He even advised that the computer wiring was at fault and to only run it in safe mode.  Finally received the needed info and now the router and bridged modem are performing fine.  Remember this all started when Verizon did something to the DSL account shuttong off service. Neither of the 6100G modems would work.  Finally after about a week the modems worked with no change at our end.  Verizon tech support has suffered badly with moving to offshore sites.

0 Likes