Westell 7500 Wireless Frequently Drops
BrianOS1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm used to restarting my Westell 7500 a couple of times a day to get the intenet light on; but lately, more often than not, even when the gateway's connection to the internet is working, Wi Fi is not. Sometimes the wireless light is out; sometimes the light is on but our devices (Windows 7 and Vista laptops, Wii console and Kindles) can't find the connection. Sometimes they can find it but can't connect. I'm currently using WPA but have gotten similar results with WEP. I've tried changing the channel and turning frameburst off, but nothing has helped. I have these problems even when a device is in the same room as the router, with no other electronics in the room. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 7500 Wireless Frequently Drops
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It sounds like you need to replaced your DSL modem.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It sounds like you need to replaced your DSL modem.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults and have changed the administrator password for the web interface? It's possible a firmware upgrade has broken a software component on the gateway, but it's also possible malware could be messing around with the settings, too. An example of the malwae bit, while I can't name it specifically, was one made for Linksys routers to change the DNS servers to ones that prevented WIndows Updates and broke or otherwise, phished sites. That malware only worked if a gateway used the default username/password combination.

Otherwise, yes you could very well have a bumb unit.

BrianOS1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. My router's about 5 years old, and the customer service rep I spoke to agreed that it was probably the problem, so he's sending me a new one. 

0 Likes
carlett554

I hope that solves your problem,  because it didn't solve mine made it slower. The tech guy came out replaced the old modem and actually didn't even have it hooked up right I had to show him were the plugs and cables went he was also suppose to check the phone lines inside and check outside lines,  he did neither. This has been going on since Nov 2013. 34 yrs as a Verizon customer the last 5 yrs with them has been an absolute nightmare with rudeness and not knowing how to do there jobs in every department. They're totally in breach of my contract I'm paying 30.00 a month for no service there not getting another penny from me for dsl and the landlines are out of here too!!! I'll be sending them my bill.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi carlett554,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always,

we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Marcial

0 Likes
KAA2

I spent 2 hours on the phone Mon. a.m., 8/25 with the same problem.  The 2nd person decided it was my modem.  It was delivered on Tues., and I set it up with a laptop.  A wrinkle there is that you are a told to input the WPA 'exactly' as on the modem.  You really need to look at 2 little words 'without spaces'  which gave me a fit.  Finally got it up late Tues. 

Once in AOL, I found the email dated 8/25 at 5+ p.m., telling of 'an outage has been detected impacting the ability to use your Verizon High Speed internet service."  REALLY!!!

This morning I have restarted my old Westell 7500 modem and am using it on my desktop and it seems to be working very well now for almost an hour without problem.  Also works with my CapTel caption phone.  So far, so good.  Hope it stays on.   

Wonder why we have had so many dropped connections that you also refer too.  I had gone for almost 2 weeks without one, until Fri. when everything hit the fan. 

0 Likes