What should i do about Internet Speeds Consistantly Slow
kolven93

First off my the plan i am currently paying for is the 1.1-3 mbps plan, since it is the highest speed offered in my area. For the past three months i have not once gotten over a speed of .8mbps and 90% of the time it is around .5. Secondly my upload speed is usually around .15. Is there anything i can do to increase this speed? Im about to drop the service,IMO its not worth the money when i can use my phone and it 10x faster. I have a macbook pro directly hook with eithernet cable and no other computers or devices using the WiFi when checking speeds.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What should i do about Internet Speeds Consistantly Slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kolven93 wrote:

I also have really bad home phone quality to the point i cannot hear the person on the line.

To get the DSL fixed, you should get this part fixed. Call Verizon from another phone, allow them to run tests, and request a tech roll to get the noise fixed. So long as you do not mention DSL service, getting the phone fixed will let DSL follow along.

One thing to keep in mind, is that you should ensure to test your voice service at your NID before calling Verizon. This helps to verify whether or not Verizon will charge you for the repair. If there is static at the NID, or you are unable to test, it's Verizon's problem. If the static all but disappears, then you have a home wiring issue. By home wiring issue, that could mean a bad connection, corrosion, dust, a faulty device connected, or a device lacking a DSL Filter.

Please check out this FAQ for more information on a NID: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kolven93

I also have really bad home phone quality to the point i cannot hear the person on the line.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kolven93 wrote:

To get the DSL fixed, you should get this part fixed. Call Verizon from another phone, allow them to run tests, and request a tech roll to get the noise fixed. So long as you do not mention DSL service, getting the phone fixed will let DSL follow along.

One thing to keep in mind, is that you should ensure to test your voice service at your NID before calling Verizon. This helps to verify whether or not Verizon will charge you for the repair. If there is static at the NID, or you are unable to test, it's Verizon's problem. If the static all but disappears, then you have a home wiring issue. By home wiring issue, that could mean a bad connection, corrosion, dust, a faulty device connected, or a device lacking a DSL Filter.

Please check out this FAQ for more information on a NID: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
kolven93

Smith6612- Thank you for the help, Will talk to them later today and hopefully can get it all cleared up!!

0 Likes
kolven93

They are sending me a new router which they said should fix both problems, because the static goes away when i turn it off. Hopefully this helps

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If the white noise goes away when you shut off the modem/router then you are either missing the micro-filter, it is installed incorrectly or it is defective. It is not the modem/router causing the issue.

0 Likes
kolven93

I have tried multiple filters and it stil happens, the rep on the phone said it was a firmware problem, even though the service and router are only 3 months old.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Where is the filter installed at? Is it at the jack or the back of the phone?

0 Likes
kolven93

Its installed at the jack.

0 Likes