Wireless disconnects when phone rings or is in use
outdoor

I have DSL with a 6100 modem. I have a Netgear wireless router. I have had no problems until a couple of weeks ago. Now if the land line phone is being used you cannot use the wireless router. The computer does not see it. If you are hard wire to the router your ok. I replaced all the filters to the phones. Any ideas

0 Likes
Re: Wireless disconnects when phone rings or is in use
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Please list all of the types of phone(s) do you have.

For example, at my house...

a) Cell phone - touch tone (non rotary dial).

b) Land Line - Cordless phone - touch tone.

c) Lane Line - Non-Cordless phone - touch tone.

d) At least one of the Landline phone(s), has a speaker so that the head set does not have to used.

e) At least one of the Landline phone(s), has an answering machine built into it.

f) Landline - non cordless - dial-up modems (with the help of sofware can act as phones, so they can used to talk to people using the phone line)- But at time they not connected to a phone line.

#2 If you do not know the type(s), then at least the brand and model of of the phone(s).

#3 What is the model of that Netgear router?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless disconnects when phone rings or is in use
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Considering hardwiring to the router works just fine, it's probably a good chance that your cordless phones are working on the 2.4Ghz range and your router is working on a channel the phones disturb. I would log into your Netgear at http://192.168.1.1/ with the Username and Password of admin/password respectively, and verify that the Netgear does not have for example, an Auto Scan feature enabled on the Wireless. Lock it to a channel, preferrably 1, 6, or 11 whichever is least noisy (InSSIDer is a wonderful Windows tool to use. Load it up on one of your Wireless PCs and let it scan for a few seconds. Whichever channel has no/least networks on of the three I mentioned, set the Netgear to use that). Netgear should have the settings to change the router's channels somewhere in the Basic Wireless settings or Advanced Wireless settings.

With some cordless phones and routers, I've noticed that when an Auto Scan feature is enabled, it tends to lead to issues considering a few Cordless phone models I've seen rapidly change which channel they broadcast on within the 2.4Ghz band. This of course, messes up Wireless and at times forces routers to actually shut down the link to try and lock onto a clean channel (which it can't ultimately). The solution in these cases was to always lock the router to a clean channel with no auto-scan feature enabled.