Re: are my Transceiver stats any good
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now isn't that something...

I'm curious if the tech switched you to another wire pair or something along that nature. If he fixed a cross between another cable pair the signal should be coming in a lot better, not worse.

0 Likes
2001kx

thanks smith6612 for the info.

well i reset my modem today and it has been holding steady at 22.5 - 23 on downstream so far.

i got the call from verizon yesterday saying my line was fixed but it must not have been fully fixed untill

today as seen by my better downstream margin...well i have given up on trying to get the 4mbps

because everyone (verizon) i talk to says i cant get it...now i would just like to see the full 3mbps

that they say i get..

i talked to them and they say my line is getting the full 3mbps but my modem shows 2112/ downstream.

how can i get that to change?

does the line / modem optimize itself somehow?

when i talked to the verizon rep on the phone he said i should be getting the 3mbps but once he

did a line check from his end and couldnt figure it out...like always they go with the same canned

quote of " well as long as you get over 1.5mbps down your within the guidelines of the 3.0 package "

Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:G.DMT Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)2112736
Margin (dB)23.010.0
Line Attenuation (dB)52.531.5
Transmit Power (dBm)17.011.9
0 Likes
2001kx

ignore my last post...my downstream margin is back down to 9.5...GRRRRRRR

Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:G.DMT Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)2112736
Margin (dB)9.510.0
Line Attenuation (dB)52.031.5
Transmit Power (dBm)16.411.9
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The margins are always going to be high upon initial sync. ADSL works on a basis of tones and buckets, so to speak. The downstream is split into a lot of different tones, each with their own level of SNR and each of which are capable of holding a specific amount of data as a "bucket" so to speak. The SNR of each tone determines how big of a bucket there is. When the modem and DSLAM negotiate a connection, each tone that can be used is examined for usability, and the tones are selected based on this usability for how much data they will carry. With ADSL, this occurs only at sync. If there is a condition where each of these tones begin to vary in SNR (which does happen!), your overall margin will start to decrease. This is *probably* what you're seeing here. There are technologies out there that ensure this "sag" doesn't cause the quality of the connection to fall, but unfortunately they are not widely used. The same goes with an ADSL2+ technology that allows for the adjusting of speed without a disconnect should the line conditions deteriorate. Hardly anyone uses that except for those ISPs offering a full 24Mbps over ADSL2+ Annex. G.

If you can find a time to sync the modem up when the line is working at it's cleanest, as long as the margins can hold at a certain value you might be able to get Verizon's optimization system to kick in and turn up the speed. With the amount the margin is dropping after sync, though I wouldn't count on the speed holding without some conditions of the line changing, such as the Transmit power.

0 Likes