connecting two pc's
RKISER

I have two pc's within a few feet of each other.  I have DSL through Verizon.  Is there anyway to connect both to the internet through the one router?  Mine is an older router and only has one port to connect to a pc.  I really don't want to pay for additional services, so if I can't figure out a way to do this with my current Verizon plan, I will have to find another server.  I am not eligible for wireless where I live, so must rely on DSL.  Any advise?

0 Likes
Re: connecting two pc's
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What is the OS and Version on your computer? For example, Windows XP Home SP3.

0 Likes
Re: connecting two pc's
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

If your DSL router  (aka DSL modem aka residential gateway) is a 6100 or a 6100G from Westell, you only have one ethernet port.  You have two choices: 

You could buy an ethernet hub, switch or router.  This would allow you to connect up to 4 PCs via ethernet to the single jack on the 6100. 

You could ask Verizon to replace the 6100 with a 7500.  This has 4 ethernet plugs on the back and functions as a router as well as a modem.  Verizonb offered me a plan whereI pay about $2 per month more, but I get a 7500.  At the end of a year or so, I'll look into what my options are at that time.