dsl speed being lowered
1kgigout

I have had dsl enhanced for a long time and was getting about 2.2 to 2.4 download until here recently when assia started lowering my speed down to 1.5 and less sometimes. They try to say that I am too far from the co (14,000') to get the full 3mb. I agree but i got 2.2 to 2.4 for years, so why has it all of a sudden became an issue? I think there is problems on verizon's end that are not being corrected so they just lower your speed. I have heard people say to try to get them to disable assia but I have not been able to get them to do it. Is ther anything that can be done because it does no good to call tech support, you just get the run around. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: dsl speed being lowered
sameboat2

Same problem, and same result "Your too far for us to service you !!"

I have filed two complaints with the FCC, to no avail.

This is ongoing for the last two years, aand when I contact support

they send me a least 2.5, not 3.0 I pay for, but this only last's for

about 2 days then back to less than 1.5 Mbps

0 Likes
1kgigout

I think they are not keeping the equipment up tp date also. If enough people move to another provider then maybe they will wake up.

0 Likes
pjsdsl

I had the same thing out on Long Island NY.  The lines men are out all the time in my neighborhood fixing the lines. When I finally had a good one they updated my speed to 1.8 mps, then after the next issue they dropped my service down to 1.3 mps telling me that the lines can't support the higher speed and I was to far from the central station (18,000 ft.).  I am told that every 6 -9 months when there is an issue.  The reality is they don't keep up their equipment and alway try to blame your home equipment or lines, even though it is always Verizon issues. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To all who need help:

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes