dsl spped
clanmackay

I have tested my internet spped several times using various test programs.  The spped rating is consistantly rated F, slower than 89% of dsl users.  I cannot stream anything without waitng and my email routinely takes 3-5 minutes to load.  I am using a new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. There are no viruses and I keep the system running at top speed.  Why is dsl so slow and why does it get slower when the kids come home after 3:00?

0 Likes
Re: dsl spped
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

You mentioned the speed rating was an F, what are the specific speeds? Are you testing on a wired or wireless connection? If testing on wireless, please plug directly to the router and re-test.

Frozen001

I have the same issue.  Wires connection with a short cord from the DSL modem/router to my laptop I am lucky if I get 1.3Mbps and I am poaying for 1.1-3Mbps.  Nothing like shooting for the bottom of the range.  I signed up for the 3 service bundle... home phone, DirecTV, and DSL.  The slow DSL makes it impossible to use the DirecTV "on-demand" service unless I plan it out hours in advance.  My wife wanted to watch a movie the other night, and after an hour of downloading it only recieved 15 minutes of the movie.  Shes not happy and neither am I.  I send an e-mail to support this morning  Unless this improves I am changing my internet service back to time warner. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To the OP only.

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?

If you don't know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from your modem:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to your modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes