fastest internet avaiable
lozoot

Sometimes when i start downloads they start out quick (500kb/s) but the fastest HSI plan is 1Mbps. Why cant i get a plan that is faster when my neighbor can get 50Mbps through cable. I dont want to leave verizon, i might just have to.

Things to note:

Live next to a college

down the road from a prison

right by a elementary school

All have lightning fast internet

0 Likes
Re: fastest internet avaiable
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They're not talking about DSL when they talk about fastest internet available.

0 Likes
lozoot

The fastest possible dsl Verizon advertises is 1Mbps. But i have gotten 1.5+ speeds at my router, for 30 seconds at most before. So explain why i had higher speeds but didnt pay for it, nor does verizon sell it...

0 Likes
lozoot

imageHere is a screen shot of origin downloading a file at 2.1 times my DSL speed

0 Likes
lozoot

Okay i was able to get ahold of someone at verizon, who was very helpful i might add, and he found out i have no other options available when it comes to upgrading my internet. So according to him, i live where there is no fios, and cable is the only other provider. He said he will have an email sent to me telling me why i cant upgrade my internet.

But, it never really answered the question of why my speed changes to something verizon claims isnt available.

My internet subscription is for 1.2Mbps. I get about 120kb/s download. When i first start the computer it can download at 500kb/s and slowly drops over the next 30 seconds to 120kb/s, when i start a download (after the comp. ran awhile) it starts at 200kb/s and slowly drops over the next 30 seconds to 120kb/s. Why is it possible to get higher download rates at all if i cant possibly purchase a higher rate than 120kb/s.

my picture, basically showed that my download rate was higher than possible.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most of the time, your massive burst in speed is due to the client misreporting the speed. Programs require a few seconds of time to properly report speeds. In addition, Origin is known to show downloading speeds higher than the actual rate due to the fact that the game files are delivered compressed.

The tried and true way to find out what your connection speed is at, and whether or not you can get more in a general sense, is to look at the modem Transceiver Statistics.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have sold faster speeds at least in the past. What is available in your area may vary.  And the DSL connections MAY have a bit of extra capacity beyond what speed they are sold at.   And just could be a speedtest misreading.

0 Likes