fbi virus
dadmsd5

verizon let a virus on my computer in safe mode also. macafee cannot fix the problem because they suck and never call you back when stated(3 times). now i can't even boot ny computer and verizon told me i have to pay to get it fixed. i pay $10 a month for this service and they tell me [word filter avoidance]

0 Likes
Re: fbi virus
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

McAfee honestly hasn't been too good as far as their software is concerned for the better part of 15 years. It's bloated and tends to miss the trending programs more often than not. "The FBI Virus" can be a pain to remove (I do it by hand for folks in my area), but it must be done via Safe Mode or another bootable OS. If you cannot remove it with a tool such as SUPERAntiSpyware portable or get online to get a copy of Malwarebytes / MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit, you should have someone trustworthy look at the computer in person. Forums like Bleeping Computer and DSLReports tend to have removal tips for that malware. Also, don't forget about System Restore. While in some cases it doesn't help, it can help you get the machine to a usable state to complete removal.

Verizon does not spread viruses, but they also do not maintain most of the VISS software. That's all McAfee. 

Also as a protip: If you do not need Java on your computer, uninstall it. Chances are these days you can get by quite nicely without it. 60% of the garbage I see in computers I disinfect is spread from folks not updating Java. The rest is usually a problem with unpatched operating systems, someone doing something stupid, or through Flash/PDF exploits.