intermittent DSL connection..... PPP down.... does that mean possible line/hardware issues?
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

about a year ago i had an issue with a temp line that was put in. I kept getting a connected for a DSL status but losing connection on my internet status and a message saying PPP down. The experiance with calling was horrible, so bad i don't want to call again for support. After 3 hrs of doing stupid things like resetting up my username and rebooting my modem i knew wasn't going to fix the issue, (also being lied to by saying there was no such thing as tier 2 agents) I am a tier 2 support agent for another industry, i know they have to have a tier 2!!! My issue was finally resolved when my neighbors construction workers broke the phone line and they had to run a new line. the tech i talked to was pretty disapointed i wasn't able to talk to a technician that knew the right thing to do in that instance.

anyway the issue is presenting itself again. PPP down when i lose connection and check the modem config page. I saw some former posts where people were able to get their issue resolved by some techs by just knowing the tria stats. ive noticed my IP changes from a 71.x.x.x to a 96.x.x.x as well (this means nothing to me but figured it may to someone else). issue is resolved briefly by a remote/hard reset. 

Transceiver RevisionA2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code4D54
Line ModeADSL_G.dmt
Data PathINTERLEAVED

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)3360736
Margin (dB)8.110.0
Line Attenuation (dB)52.031.0
Transmit Power (dBm)19.311.9

If anyone can help me avoid a call, I would greatly appreciate it. I go through TS flows all day and know how much time they can waste. Sry about the negative attitude, I love my job as a phone jockey but I know how going through the system can be, and know message boards are a great and better alternative. westell model 7500

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PPP down possible line issues?
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

** update plugged it into the NIT, no problems. moved locations gateway was at, haven't had any problems for a few hours so far which is the best i've seen. must be a bad jack or the jack was too far away from the NIT?.... it's also closer to our our NIT than the room i had it in previously, so maybe that made the difference. If not ill post and bump this back up again TY!!

Hey do you have anymore other good DSL sites to share for support/info etc? 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

as soon as i post this message my internet has had no problems for over 20 mins, longest its been all night. But this is the second time in the past week, ive been having issues. Earlier this week my modem kept connecting at like 1mbps down and like .3mbps up. (reboot didn't fix it, just kept connecting at slower speeds resolved by sleeping on it..... woke up the next morning no problem) The last year its been very consistently connecting at 3mbps/.850ish and ive been very satisfied with the service. So as things in the tech world go I'd like to fix this before it gets worse. Any assistance would be appreciated! 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try connecting your modem to the NID?

Points you to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

hmmm no ill prob try that tomorrow. since its night time and its outside... issue is still occuring tho 😞

most of the time these are line/hardware issues.... no? 

Last time verizon could never detect this issue with their line tests, which i assume they were just looking to see how often the DSL connection was dropping, which it wasn't, i was getting a good DSL link but the status always goes to pending.

0 Likes
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

** update plugged it into the NIT, no problems. moved locations gateway was at, haven't had any problems for a few hours so far which is the best i've seen. must be a bad jack or the jack was too far away from the NIT?.... it's also closer to our our NIT than the room i had it in previously, so maybe that made the difference. If not ill post and bump this back up again TY!!

Hey do you have anymore other good DSL sites to share for support/info etc? 

0 Likes
michael126
Enthusiast - Level 2

made a mistake, this morning woke up same issue occuring plugged into the NIT.... guess its time to call verizon for a tech

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few feet of cable difference between the NID and a jack won't make too much of a difference with DSL, unless the cabling is in REALLY bad shape or is really poor in quality, where that distance would help a bit. On marginal connections, every little bit does help, though!

I would suggest marking the thread as not solved, just so that people do not get confused. You should be able to select the post that was marked as a solution and remove the selection for the solution.

As for other websites? You could try another website I visit such as http://www.dslreports.com/ . They've got a good bunch of people floating around as well who can help you out. There's also some familiar faces from this community over there too who just go by different aliases.

0 Likes