lost emails
aes6944

I'm posting here per directions from Microsoft, but I think there just dodging the issue.

My wife is running windows 7, and using Windows Live Email as the local software to access her Verizon email. Last few weeks, the contents of the inbox and sent folders has disappeared (on our local machine). Local storage folders have also gone missing, but not contacts.  Upon digging, I've found most of the files buried in multiple "recovered" folders in the LiveMail folder.

It's like the program dumped all emails and started over.

I posted this in a Windows Live email forum, and was diredted that per their agreement with Verizon, it's a Verizon issue.

I've noticed that it has happened on three successive wednesdays, between 7 and 9 am. Prior to this it happened once this spring, and once about a year and a half back.

I noticed that in the users\app data folder, there were an enormous number of empty folders. All had random alphanumerical strings as the folder names, and there were maybe 8 per day, going back to April. I suspect the creation times correspond with the times my wife checked her email, but I can't be sure.

I'm going to check her Norton antivirus settings, and turn off the email scan in case that may be causing the issue.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: lost emails
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@aes6944 wrote:

I'm posting here per directions from Microsoft, but I think there just dodging the issue.

My wife is running windows 7, and using Windows Live Email as the local software to access her Verizon email. Last few weeks, the contents of the inbox and sent folders has disappeared (on our local machine). Local storage folders have also gone missing, but not contacts.  Upon digging, I've found most of the files buried in multiple "recovered" folders in the LiveMail folder.

It's like the program dumped all emails and started over.

I posted this in a Windows Live email forum, and was diredted that per their agreement with Verizon, it's a Verizon issue.

I've noticed that it has happened on three successive wednesdays, between 7 and 9 am. Prior to this it happened once this spring, and once about a year and a half back.

I noticed that in the users\app data folder, there were an enormous number of empty folders. All had random alphanumerical strings as the folder names, and there were maybe 8 per day, going back to April. I suspect the creation times correspond with the times my wife checked her email, but I can't be sure.

I'm going to check her Norton antivirus settings, and turn off the email scan in case that may be causing the issue.

Any ideas?

Once the email is downloaded to your computer, Verizon can't touch it anymore. If your local copy goes missing, that's a pc/client issue. Microsoft is definitely trying to dodge the issue.

0 Likes
Re: lost emails
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even if Microsoft is dodging the issue as e-mails disappear from Windows Live Mail, it's still worthwhile to point out that their forums seem to be mostly community-based, similar to this one. If anything, I would check to make sure e-mails are not being auto archived, similar to what Outlook does by saving them to a separate file. Archiving comes in handy especially for people who keep years of e-mails, as it keeps the main mail database from crashing out (which believe me, happens at random when the inbox gets past 500MB-2GB of data, and increases as it grows). Microsoft Outlook, which is Microsoft's Business-oriented mail client, has a breaking point of around 700MB. Somehow it still holds up to the point where someone's inbox can get to 9GB, but at that point, when stuff breaks, it breaks pretty hard.

The recovered databases (are they being found at C:\Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail ? ) certainly do not seem to be a good sign though. Considering it's increasing in amount, I would certainly start talking with Microsoft to see if perhaps a bug can be found in the program that results in the e-mails being deleted. Verizon does not use IMAP, so that is already ruled out.

Her contact list is stored as a part of the Windows Contacts database. That is a completely separate program and is a part of the Windows Operating System.

0 Likes