new Verizon internet service; but internet speed is quite slow
EricBourland
Enthusiast - Level 2

My household has had Verizon internet since the beginning of June. Unfortunately, data download and upload speeds are very slow. We have no other devices attached to the phone line. There is no filter between the modem and the phone line. We have tried turning off the modem and restarting it.

Does anyone have any other ideas about improving internet data speed?

Thank you for any ideas.

Eric

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new Verizon internet service; but internet speed is quite slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're getting speeds like that you're doing well, if you're provisioned at 5Mbps. 5Mbps is within the Enhanced DSL package, which holds the range of something from 1.1Mbps to 15Mbps.

If you can tell us what modem you have, we can see if the line can take more. As 5Mbps is already available, if the line can support it 7-15Mbps should also be available. We'll just need the Transceiver Statistics.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What sort of speeds are you currently getting on the DSL? Run a speed test to a site such as speedtest.net or testmy.net and let us know what you get. Run two tests to allow th computer to get up to speed with the first test.

EricBourland
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am getting 5 Mbps download, and 0.743 Mbps upload. Does that seem right to you?

Thank you for your help and perspective.

Eric

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're getting speeds like that you're doing well, if you're provisioned at 5Mbps. 5Mbps is within the Enhanced DSL package, which holds the range of something from 1.1Mbps to 15Mbps.

If you can tell us what modem you have, we can see if the line can take more. As 5Mbps is already available, if the line can support it 7-15Mbps should also be available. We'll just need the Transceiver Statistics.

EricBourland
Enthusiast - Level 2

My modem has model number DSL-2750B. Where might I find these Transceiver Statistics you mention?

I really appreciate your time, patience, and professionalism.

Eric B

0 Likes
upperdeck
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just wondering looking at your speeds what is running slow that makes you notice? that speed should handle streaming from multiple sources pretty well?

EricBourland
Enthusiast - Level 2

Four people live here, and we share the Verizon DSL internet. We have noticed (all of us) that web page downloads are slow -- on four different computers, using different browsers.

But the speed test seems to indicate about 4.5 Mbps downstream.

So, yes, it is a weird sitution, and it seems like it should be faster. None of us is downloading anything big or continual.

0 Likes
EricBourland
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate all of the useful feedback I have gotten here.

Eric

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you look for the transceiver Statistics, this text gives to you an idea of what to look for:

Line Mode, Data Path:, transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path, DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec), Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dBm).

#2 As where the transceiver Statistics are located in the DLink 2750:

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink mode, so we'll need Verizon to grab the stats from the DSLAM, and while they're at it, check the logs on their end to see if the line is dropping out physucally, or is dropping out on another sense.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@EricBourland wrote:

Four people live here, and we share the Verizon DSL internet. We have noticed (all of us) that web page downloads are slow -- on four different computers, using different browsers.

But the speed test seems to indicate about 4.5 Mbps downstream.

So, yes, it is a weird sitution, and it seems like it should be faster. None of us is downloading anything big or continual.

Consider swapping DNS servers to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the IPs) and ensure you clean your browser cache. I would also go to measurementlab.net and run their NPAD test. This test is useful for picking up on connection packet loss. At the test, choose a target rate of 4Mbps and run a round trip of 50ms. If you could share the result that would be great.

You can alson onsider running Netalyzr, which can check all of this for you (DNS, capacity, and loss). Visit your favorite search engine and use it to find that tool. It is a .edu site and should be a top result. Post the test result if you could.

0 Likes