slow dsl connection speed
Ray914
Enthusiast - Level 2

I previously have the 3.0 Mbps internet plan and recently upgraded to the 7.1-15.1 Mbps plan but I am not getting that speed at all. I have 3 computers connected to the internet most of the time and mostly one person is streaming video online and I get speed that's like .5 Mbps. When only one computer is connected I get speed that's about 3 Mbps which is still a lot slower than what I'm paying for. I am using westell modem model 7500. Anyone know what's the problem? I called Verizon a few times and they said they fixed the problem. I might be calling again soon. Here's my transceiver statistics :

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_2plus

Data Path FAST  

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path 

Speed (Kbits/Sec) 11742

Margin (dB) 9.8 

Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 

Transmit Power (dBm) 0.0 

Transceiver Information   Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)   1179

Margin (dB)   10.6

Line Attenuation (dB)   11.3

Transmit Power (dBm)   12.8

Re: slow dsl connection speed
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try to connect this modem to the NID?

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

If not, do it and post the new results from the Transceiver Statistics.

Ray914
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in an aparment so I don't know where the NID would be. Should I call verizon and have them send someone here to do it?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can ask the building owners to show you where your NID might be, or of course you can get Verizon out to take a look at the copper wiring to see if it can be improved. At your distance you should be able to achieve the full 15Mbps rate. Knowing apartments, it's possible some of the wiring may need fixing up.

Ray914
Enthusiast - Level 2

The verizon tech came and tested my line and he said it is fine. He is getting fast speed on the test and said since I got more speed than before I loose stability. He also suggested a new high end modem might work but he's not too sure about it. What do you guys think? Should I called verizon again and have another technician for help.